Geonics - Model EM34-3 & EM34-3XL - Conductivity Meter
From Conductivity Meters
The EM34-3 is a simple-to-operate, cost-effective instrument for the geologist and hydrogeologist alike; applications have been particularly successful for the mapping of deeper groundwater contaminant plumes and for the exploration of potable groundwater resources.
Using the same inductive method as the EM31-MK2, the EM34-3 uses three intercoil spacings - 10, 20 and 40 m - to provide variable depths of exploration down to 60 metres. With three intercoil spacings and two dipole modes (horizontal as shown, and vertical) at each spacing, vertical soundings can be obtained. In the vertical dipole (horizontal coplanar) mode, the EM34-3 is very sensitive to vertical geologic anomalies and, as a consequence, is widely used for groundwater exploration in fractured and faulted bedrock.
The EM34-3 includes connectors for an analog signal output, as well as an input which can be used with a rechargeable battery option. Digital signal output, required for data collection with the DL600/DAS70 system, is available as an option for all models of the EM34-3.
In regions of particularly high cultural and/or atmospheric noise, the EM34-3XL - including increased transmitter power and a larger transmitter coil - improves the signal-to-noise ratio by a factor of 10 at the 40 m spacing, and by a factor of 4 at the 10 and 20 m spacings.
- Measured Quantities : Apparent conductivity in millisiemens per metre (mS/m)
- Primary Field Source : Self-contained dipole transmitter
- Sensor : Self-contained dipole receiver
- Reference Cable : Lightweight, 2 wire shielded cable
- Intercoil Spacings & Operating Frequency
- 10 m at 6.4 kHz
- 20 m at 1.6 kHz
- 40 m at 0.4 kHz
- Power Supply
- Transmitter: 8 disposable or rechargeable “D” cells
- Receiver: 8 disposable or rechargeable “C” cells
- Conductivity Ranges : Conductivity: 10, 100, 1k mS/m
- Measurement Resolution : +/- 0.1% of full scale
- Measurement Accuracy : +/- 5% at 20 mS/m
- Noise Levels : Conductivity: 0.2 mS/m (can be greater in regions of high power line interference)
- Dimensions :
- Rx Console: 19x13.5x26 cm
- Tx Console: 15.5x8x26 cm
- Rx & Tx Coil: 63 cm diameter
- EM34-3XL Tx Coil: 100 cm
- Case: 27.5x75x75 cm
- Instrument: 20.5 kg; XL: 26.5 kg
- Shipping: 43 kg; XL: 51 kg