Geonics - Model EM38-MK2 - Shallow Electromagnetic Conductivity Meter
From Conductivity Meters
The EM38-MK2 provides measurement of both the quad-phase (conductivity) and in-phase (magnetic susceptibility) components within two distinct depth ranges, all simultaneously, without any requirement for soil-to-instrument contact. With a maximum effective depth of exploration of 1.5 m, applications in agriculture, archaeology and general soil sciences are common.
The standard EM38-MK2 includes two receiver coils, separated by 1 m and 0.5 m from the transmitter, providing data from effective depth ranges of 1.5 m and 0.75 m respectively when positioned in the vertical dipole orientation, and 0.75 m and 0.375 m respectively when in the horizontal dipole orientation. The EM38-MK2-1 model includes one receiver coil only, at 1 m from the transmitter.
New coil technology, supported by temperature compensation circuitry, markedly improves temperature-related drift characteristics as compared with the preceding generation of EM38 instruments.
An optional, collapsible calibration stand supports automation of the instrument calibration procedure. Once positioned within the stand, the instrument can be calibrated within seconds, without any requirement for iterative adjustments.
Supporting both walking and trailer-mounted survey methods, external power sources can be connected to the instrument for extended field operations; an optional, lightweight, rechargeable battery pack provides for 25 hours of continuous operation. Also for trailer- mounted operations, a protective capsule, constructed of durable plastic materials, is available as an option.
Data collection is supported by the DAS70-AR Data Acquisition System, or other appropriate field computer, connected by either RS-232 serial cable or Bluetooth wireless technology.
- Measured Quantities:
- Apparent conductivity in millisiemens per metre (mS/m)
- In-phase ratio of the secondary to primary magnetic field in parts per thousand (ppt)
- Intercoil Spacing : 1 and 0.5 metres
- Operating Frequency : 14.5 KHz
- Measuring Range:
- Conductivity: 1000 mS/m
- In-phase: ± 29 ppt for 1 m
- In-phase: ± 7 ppt for 0.5 m
- Measurement Resolution : ± 0.1 % of full scale
- Measurement Accuracy : ± 5 % at 30 mS/m
- Noise Levels
- Conductivity: 0.5 mS/m;
- In-phase: 0.02 ppt
- Data Output : RS-232 serial port, Bluetooth
- Power Source : 9 V disposable battery, external rechargeable battery pack
- Battery Life : up to 5 h continuous for MN1604; 12 h continuous for L522; 25 h for rechargeable battery pack
- Operating Temperature : -40°C to + 50°C
- Instrument: 107 x 17 x 8 cm
- Shipping: 114 x 20 x 26 cm
- Instrument: 5.4 kg
- Shipping: 14 kg