GreensandPlus™ - Purple-Black Filter Media
GreensandPlus™ is a black filter media used for removing soluble iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide, arsenic and radium from groundwater supplies. The manganese dioxide coated surface of GreensandPlus acts as a catalyst in the oxidation reduction reaction of iron and manganese. The silica sand core of GreensandPlus allows it to withstand waters that are low in silica, TDS and hardness without breakdown.
GreensandPlus is effective at higher operating temperatures and higher differential pressures than standard manganese greensand. Tolerance to higher differential pressure can provide for longer run times between backwashes and a greater margin of safety.
Systems may be designed using either vertical or horizontal pressure filters, as well as gravity filters.
GreensandPlus is a proven technology for iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide, arsenic and radium removal. Unlike other media, there is no need for extensive preconditioning of filter media or lengthy startup periods during which required water quality may not be met.
GreensandPlus is an exact replacement for manganese greensand. It can be used in CO or IR applications and requires no changes in backwash rate or times or chemical feeds.
- Iron reduction over wide pH range
- Effective reduction of hydrogen sulfide in addition to iron and/or manganese
- No harmful effects from a chlorine feed
- Low attrition for long bed life
- Color: black
- Bulk Density: 85 lbs./cu. ft.
- Specific Gravity: 2.4
- Effective Size: .30 - .35 mm
- Uniformity Coefficienty: 1.6
- Mesh Size: 16 - 60
- Hardness: 6 – 7 (Mohs scale)
- Water pH range: 6.2 – 8.5
- Bed depth: 30 in.
- Freeboard: 50% of bed depth (min.)
- Service flow rate: 3 – 5 gpm/sq. ft.
- Backwash flow rate: 10 – 12 gpm/sq. ft.
- Backwash expansion rate: 40% of bed depth