Elix - High-Throughput Water Purification System
To reach the most reliable pure water quality, Elix High-Throughput systems are built on an optimized purification sequence:
Tap water first enters the Progard pretreatment cartridge which efficiently removes particles & colloids, free chlorine and hardness before reverse osmosis (RO) purification. Elix systems benefit from advanced RO technology and E.R.A. technology, which controls water consumption, and ensures a constant product flow rate and optimal water quality. All prolong the lifetime of the RO membrane and downstream purification technologies. Depending on daily volume needs, Elix High-Throughput systems are available in a range of production flow rates (40, 80, 120 or 150 L/h).
The patented Elix module further removes ions to typically reach >5 MΩ cm (at 25°C) resistivity. All Elix systems are equipped with the best-in-class Elix electrodeionization technology. It provides:
- Superior and consistent Type 2 water quality – “Superior,” as resin beads are not degraded by exposure to harsh regeneration chemicals. “Consistent,” as the continuous regeneration avoids the drawbacks of quality variations from resin exhaustion.
- Cost & labor savings – The Elix module contains special carbon beads at its cathode and therefore, does not require water softening. Its self-regeneration technology avoids the hassle and costs of DI cartridge replacement. Elix is “green,” consuming low energy with a small carbon footprint.
- Long-lasting technology – thanks to its proven design, the module continuously regenerates its resin beads without the need for any maintenance.
Elix pure water is irradiated by a bactericidal UV lamp before entering the storage tank, or SDS 500 (Storage and Distribution System). The reservoir design maintains consistent purity of stored water. The vent filter provides effective protection against airborne contaminants and the ASM, Automatic Sanitization Module, prevents biofilm formation. Elix water can then be sent by a distribution pump to feed instruments or a distribution loop. They can be integrated into a centralized system, providing total control of all parameters within the system itself as well as within the external pure water distribution loop.
Elix High-Throughput systems are designed to produce up to 9000 L/day of Type 2 water from potable tap feed water to meet or exceed the relevant standards defined by ISO 3696 / BS 3997 the European and US Pharmacopoeia, and other international bodies.
All the details needed for daily operation of the Elix High-Throughput system are available at a glance on the system's large color touch screen. Several views show:
- Main data (water production status, storage level, dispensing status)
- Consumables exhaustion status
- Alarm & alert status
- The system's dashboard displays information in an easy-to-read format; handy wizards guide users through maintenance procedures with step-by-step procedures.
Real-time web pages in the Elix High-Throughput system interface enable users to monitor water purification system operations. Remote monitoring is possible 24/7 via a computer, tablet, or smartphone for up to three users at a time. In addition, the Elix system can be connected to a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) or Building Management System (BMS).
A complete range of Services, including Validation support, is provided by certified Field Service Engineers using calibrated equipment and Qualification Workbooks. For full confidence in your Elix High-Throughput system, it is delivered with a Certificate of Calibration for the built-in temperature and resistivity meters, and a Certificate of Conformity ensuring that it has been built and tested fully assembled following internal Standard Operating Procedures. The manufacturing site is ISO 9001 v.2000 and ISO 14001 certified.
Feed Water Requirements
- Parameter: Value or Range
- Pressure: 2 – 6 bar
- Flow rate: >10 L/min at 2 bar
- Feed water type: Potable water
- Temperature: 5 – 35 °C
- Conductivity: 10 – 2000 µS/cm at 25 °C
- pH: 4 – 10
- Hardness (as CaCO3): < 300 ppm
- Silica concentration: <30 ppm
- Carbon dioxide concentration (CO2): <30 ppm
- Langelier Saturation Index (LSI): < 0.3
- Fouling Index (FI5) or Silt Density Index (SDI): ≤ 7(*)
- Free chlorine for Elix 40 LC, 80 LC, 120 , 150 systems: <1.5 ppm
- Free chlorine for Elix 40 HC, 80 HC systems: <1.5 ppm – 3 ppm
* < 12 when the optional UF pretreatment is installed.
Elix High-Throughput Systems Performance
- Parameter: Value or Range
- Resistivity: <5 MΩ.cm @ 25 °C (10-15 MΩ.cm @ 25 °C typically)
- Conductivity: < 0.2 µS/cm @ 25 °C
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC): Typically
- Microorganisms: < 10 CFU/mL
- Dissolved silica: < 3 ppb (rejection > 99.9 %)
- Noise level: < 50 db at 1 meter
- Communication protocol: TCP/IP/CGI, embedded web server and HTML 5 embedded web site*
- Communication ports: Ethernet , USB 2.0
- Languages: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese
* No additional software needed for remote control.
- Elix systems are compliant to European directives related to safety and electromagnetic compatibility. Tests according to the IEC system scheme for mutual recognition have been performed by an independent and accredited Certified Body. CB test certificates issued by the NCB can be verified on the IECEE web site ().
- Elix systems are also built using components and practices recommended by UL. Systems have been tested according to national deviation and are cUL marked. The registration can be verified on the UL web site ().