Hydrelio - Floating Solar System
Our innovative floating solar system Hydrelio allows standard PV panels to be installed on large bodies of water such as drinking water reservoirs, quarry lakes, irrigation canals or remediation and tailing ponds. A simple and affordable alternative to ground-mount solar systems, Hydrelio floating solar farm is particularly suitable for energy and water-intensive industries who cannot afford to waste either land or water. Wineries, dairy farms, fish farms, mining companies, wastewater treatment plants, irrigation districts and water agencies are all examples of organisations who benefit from the synergy that our system creates between sun and water.
The Hydrelio technology has been put to the test and has a 20+ year lifetime. Since February 2011, we have been operating a pilot project in the south of France to come up with a simple and efficient design that is both affordable and high performing.
Check out the complete list of benefits our floating solar technology Hydrelio delivers to our clients and contact us today to discuss your floating solar system needs.
Easy to install & dismantle
- Easy to adapt to any electrical configuration
- Scalable from low to high power generation
- No tools or heavy equipment needed
- All materials can be recycled
- Reduction of water evaporation to conserve irrigation or drinking water
- Slower algae growth thanks to the shielding of the water by the floating island
- Low environmental impact: no excavation work, no impact on water quality
- Reduced erosion of reservoir embankments by reducing waves
- Return on investment boosted from the low lease price and installation costs
- Streamlined manufacturing process to ensure low production cost and competitive system prices
- Higher electricity production thanks to the cooling effect of water on panels and cables
Resistant to uv & corrosion
Hydrelio floats are made of HDPE through blow moulding manufacturing process. An highly resistant composition which gives to the system a 20+ year lifetime
Extreme wind resistant
Tested by ONERA (the French aerospace lab), our floating solar technology, Hydrelio, can withstand up to 118 mph winds
Safe mounting & maintenance
Hydrelio system has been designed to be easily and quickly deployed. The secondary floats allow easy access to the panels for maintenance and cleaning.
Drinking water compliant
Drinking water compliance tested by the English Independent Water Quality Control Center
Once assembled with the PV panels, the floating platform is towed to the specified location. The platform is then anchored to stay on a static position and avoid hiting the shores while following water level variation. The anchoring system design is usually composed of:
- Aluminum spreader bars that enable the connection of the mooring lines to the island and spread the load through the two connection tabs of the floats.
- Cables to link spreader bars to anchors (sized taking into account water level variation).
- Chains at the end of the cables to adjust length.
- Main and secondary float rows (without PV panel) to secure buoyancy during harsh winds.
- Anchors to moor the island on the bottom or on shores in order to withstand wind loads and to reduce movement of the island on the water surface.
- Shackles to link each component: anchor and cable, cable and chain, and chain and aluminum spreader bar.
No special or heavy tools are required for floats assemblying and panels mounting. The installation work of the hydrelio technology is quick and simple. Minimal condition for construction work is an area of 5 meters lenght and a width equivalent to the floating plateform row (depending on structure design). If there is a lack of space on the bank, a temporary platform is required. In actual practice, Ciel & Terre can provide consulting to determine construction location, platform postion, slope and raw materials. Also, it is essential to ensure a material storehouse near the pond.
Our system is also a solution for ground plants since many sites may require lighter structure than metal mounted solutions (underground reservoirs for example). Our support structure can also prove to be cheaper (material cost, easier installation and maintenance) and well adapted for sites close to places where energy consumption occurs.
In partnership with the French TECHSUB subsidiary’s AQUAGO (www.techsub.com), Ciel & Terre also provides technical solutions to manage and rehabilitate polluted water area. Thus, as well as solar electricity production, this technology participates actively in self-purification processes of water bodies.