IBIDEN - Model SCR - Diesel Catalysts
SCR diesel catalysts are highly efficient in reducing NOx in diesel exhaust emissions. As a result they enable diesel engines to comply with the statutory emission limits. They not only relieve the burden on the environment but also cut fuel consumption, toll charges and tax rates.
SCR catalysts enable commercial vehicles to comply with the current Euro 5 NOx emission limits. SCR diesel catalysts differ from conventional power station catalysts in their special composite materials, product design and fine cell geometry. In contrast to competing products which are coated, Frauenthal diesel catalysts are composed of homogeneous catalytic material. They are exceptionally durable and deliver the same high performance under all operating conditions.
NOx and particulate emissions come in under the limits imposed by current European and US standards. Combined with engine design improvements, SCR catalysts bring the necessary reductions in diesel particulate emissions and fuel consumption. An ISO 14001 and ISO/TS 16949 certified environmental management system ensures that our products comply with the legal environmental standards and are continuously improved.
The Euro 4 standard has dramatically tightened the NOx emission limits for all vehicles weighing over 3.5 tonnes – from 3.5 g NOx/kWh in 2005 to 2 g from 2009 onwards and 0.4 g from 2013 on.
The special tests used for automotive catalysts are:
- 3D contour measurement of the cylinder surface area using laser triangulation, to ensure that the canning dimensions are correct;
- Isostatic compression strength testing, to ensure that the diesel catalyst withstands the high retaining forces exerted by the ceramic mats required for vehicle use.
Our SCR diesel catalysts are homogeneous extrudates consisting of catalytically active oxides. The large surface and pore volume bring the following major benefits:
- High activity and selectivity
- Outstanding sorption and oxidation of hydrocarbons and soot particles
- High ammonia storage capacity
- Exceptional durability
- Negligible greenhouse gas formation
- Excellent low temperature activity
- Unsupported extrudate with 90% catalytically active oxide content
- Current dimensions:
- Diameter: 5.66–13”
- Cell density: up to 400 cpsi
- Length: as required
- Physical structure: particles with diameters of 20–50 nanometres
- Porosity: >50%
- Specific BET surface area: >50 m2/g
- Glass fibre in the active oxide matrix results in high mechanical strength
Our R&D efforts covers all aspects of the life cycle of a catalyst, from improvements to existing products in collaboration with material suppliers and research into new systems through to production process development and optimization, and customized applications. The expertise of the scientists and engineers in our development department spans all the technological skills required to supply best-practice catalysts for customers’ applications. They have access to a wealth of experience in the department, and regular training and development programs.
The department’s ongoing activities include:
- Continuous improvement of existing products and processes
- Development and commercialisation of new extrusion materials
- Development of new applications for existing materials