IceMap - Real Time Ice Thickness Measurements System
From Other Products
The IceMap™ real-time display shows the automatically detected bottom of the ice (blue line) in real time. Users can set a minimum thickness warning threshold (gold line).
Ice, Roads & Bridges
Winter ice roads and bridges are a common transportation link in the northern regions of Canada, Alaska, Europe and Russia. The Sensors & Software IceMap™ GPR system is designed to measure the ice thickness on these temporary, yet vital, links and ensure the safety of travelers using these icy roads and bridges.
The GPR-based ice thickness sensor is housed in a toboggan that is towed across the ice surface behind a truck or snowmobile. The ice thickness data is sent wirelessly from the sensor to the operator’s computer and displayed in real-time as a cross-sectional image.
The current ice thickness under the sensor is displayed numerically and graphically. As well, the minimum and maximum ice depth values for the current line are displayed. An alarm sounds when the ice drops below the user-defined minimum ice thickness value.
Rapid data acquisition enables the unit to be towed at speeds up to 80 km per hour. Low power requirements make it possible for a 12V battery to power the system.
IceMap™ Data Collection Software
To collect IceMap™ data, the user simply sets the desired vehicle speed (in km/h or mph), scan depth and step size (measurement interval). All other parameters are automatically optimized for best quality data.
Ice Thickness Reporting
Reports in PDF format are quickly generated from the IceMap™ data:
- Users can define the survey name, start and end location, and any additional comments
- Ice Calibration summary lists the IceCals performed; their location and the measured thickness of ice
- A table of the thinnest ice sections including the total length and the longest continuous section of thin ice
- An Exceptions table plots the areas where picks were manually removed; these areas might indicate grounded ice
- A map view display of the IceMap™ line
- An overview cross-section of the ice thickness for the IceMap™ line
- Detailed cross-sections of every 1000 meters of the IceMap™ line