Intellair - Programmable Logic Controller for Air Control System
Intellair is a programmable logic controller (PLC) controlled intelligent air control system that optimises the efficiency of dust extraction, fume extraction and ventilation systems by continually monitoring demand and regulating the extraction or supply of air in accordance with that demand. The system has been designed by air movement specialists with over 40 years’ experience and is designed to cut energy costs by in excess of 40%. Intellair, which can be installed into new or existing extraction or ventilation systems, is designed to operate automatically and can be configured to undertake scheduled ‘clean’ operations as well as allocating ‘booster’ points to maintain duct velocities for systems where minimum duct velocities need to be maintained to convey particulate. The system can also be configured to be accessed remotely for the purpose of monitoring both current and past performance as well as providing override control if required.
In most instances air movement systems are not able to react to actual demand; they are simply on or off. This results in systems that are highly inefficient, this in turn results in the energy costs associated with the operation of such systems being significantly higher than necessary along with the associated environmental impact this causes. Intellair provides the solution to this problem by automatically regulating the complete system in accordance with actual demand including the ability to configure options during commissioning to maintain minimum airflows if appropriate. When a machine is turned on or a room is occupied, a remote switch (whether this be an automatic switch such as the Intellair Current Sensing Switch or any other common form of 24v auto switch such as a thermostat, PIR sensor or alternatively even a simple manually operated rocker switch) signals the Intellair control unit to indicate the demand – the system then intelligently calculates the optimum motor speed required to meet that demand. Conversely, when a machine is turned off or a room is no longer occupied the system recognises that the demand requirement has changed and reduces the motor speed accordingly.
Intellair therefore increases the efficiency of existing equipment and optimises the efficiency of new equipment, this drives down operating costs and reduces the carbon footprint and environmental impact of the air movement system.
The system has the capability to:
- Automatically detect demand and react accordingly.
- Undertake scheduled tasks such as ‘Clean’ which involves the fans to be operated at full capacity with all connected positions open in order to remove dust or particulate that could have been deposited within the ductwork.
- Be configured so that a minimum number of positions can be open through ‘Booster’ points in recognition of the fact that minimum duct velocities may need to be achieved.
- Be separated into Zones allowing different sections of the system to operate according to different rules.
- Incorporate 3rd Party actuator controlled power open/spring close dampers.
- Incorporate almost any 3rd Party 24v switches ranging from rocker style manual switches to PIR Sensors, thermostats and air quality sensors.
- Provide an RSS Feed to subscribe for operating updates and for interlinking with BMS Systems.
- Present operating data in graph format to visually indicate operating performance and energy cost over hour, day, week, month and year timelines.
- Operating Data presented in graph format to visually indicate operating performance and energy cost over hour, day, week, month and year timelines.
- System provides an RSS Feed to subscribe for operating updates and for interlinking with BMS Systems.
- Will reduce operating energy costs by in excess of 40% for the majority of installations.
- Will reduce the initial capital costs of the majority of new systems through the capability to accurately size systems based on actual usage as opposed to the total number of positions.
- Will reduce the Carbon Footprint and the Environmental Impact of most air movement systems.
- Will improve workplace air quality as a result of automating the process of air movement and control.
- Removes the reliance on manual control by ensuring positions are open and closed in response to actual demand.
- Suitable for installing within existing systems as well as new systems.