Ion GasClam - Model 2 - Continuous Soil/Ground Gas Monitoring System
GasClam is a unique in-borehole gas monitoring system developed for the unattended collection of long-term, real-trend ground-gas data.
Using spot measurements to understand ground-gas regimes often results in high levels of uncertainty.
Uncertainty exists as concentration changes over time and spot sampling only provides a snap shot of the ground gas regime at that instant.
Considerable published material from experts who measure ground-gas and preform risk assessments question whether traditional methods of collecting data are adequate. This led Salamander to provide the definitive solution, the patented GasClam® 2
GasClam 2 collects unmanned continuous ground gas concentration data as well as parameters that are known to control it – subsurface pressure, atmospheric pressure and water level.
This information reduces uncertainty by providing the full picture of what is happening below ground. Also by observing the process controlling the ground gas regime you can predict how it will change in the future.
Using GasClam 2 therefore, provides a hierarchy of financial benefits. The first saving comes from reducing the number of site visits by a field engineer.
The second saving comes from reducing the overall length of monitoring programmes as legislative data requirements can be met quicker.
The third, and largest savings is made by designing appropriate, rather than over-engineered, solutions based on complete and robust data.
- Brownfield site investigation
- Landfill perimeter monitoring and control
- Shale and Coal Bed Methane / Seam Gas site monitoring
- Vapour intrusion studies
- Waste Management
- Refineries and petroleum storage monitoring
- Key Features
- Continuous gas (methane, carbon dioxide, oxygen, hydrogen sulphide and VOC) monitoring with configurable logging intervals
- Continuous atmospheric/borehole pressure and monitoring with configurable logging intervals
- Battery powered deployment for over 3 months (depending on logging frequency)
- External power option for extended deployment
- Intrinsically safe for use in explosive atmospheres
- Discrete installation
- Key Benefits
- Optimised site management with insights from continuous monitoring
- Improved site characterisation and event flagging help reduce risks
- Demonstrates regulatory compliance and due diligence
- Supports and industry recognised best practice approach to ground-gas monitoring
- Aids selection of cost effective solutions
- Ease of Use
- Fits in to standard 50mm/2” borehole
- Reduces number of site visits
- Simple PC software
- Power Options :
- Internal: Option of Lithium primary cells or Duracell Alkaline D-Cells or Rechargeable battery pack
- External: Accepts intrinsically safe external power supply for extended and/or rapid monitoring
- Typical Battery Life (hourly sampling) :
- Lithium primary cells – 3 Months
- Alkaline cells – 1 Month
- Rechargeable battery pack – 3 Weeks
- Case : High quality stainless steel
- Dimensions : Overall length: 90cm (35.4 in)
- Borehole tube length: 83cm (32.6 in)
- Head diameter: 11cm (4.3 in)
- Borehole tube diameter: 4.7cm (1.85 in)
- Weight : 7.5kg (16.8 lbs)
- Protection : IP68 rated (continuous submersion)
- Operation Temp. : -20oC to 50oC (-4oF to 122oF)
- Approvals :
- EMC, ATEX 0105 X
- Ex II 2G Ex d ib [ib] IIB T4 Gb
- IECEx d ib [ib] IIB T4 Gb
- CSA C (US & Canadian Approvals)
- Class 1, Zone 1 (A) Ex d id IIB T4
- Patents : European and World-wide Patented