Leakwise - Model ID-227WL/PTP - Oil Sheen Monitoring System
The Leakwise ID-227WL/PTP Oil Sheen Monitoring System is a floating wireless sensor that detects the presence and monitors the buildup of hydrocarbons on water. The ID-227WL/PTP is designed for installation offshore. Applications include detecting and monitoring floating hydrocarbons near the intake of desalination plants, jetty and monobuoy oil loading terminals, and oil rigs and platforms; as well as in ports, lakes, rivers, open channels, and large retention ponds.
This system has a wireless oil detection unit mounted on a wave rider buoy and a wireless data receiver unit.
The oil detection unit includes:
- A wave rider buoy
- An oil detection sensor
- An integrated wireless transmitter with antenna
- A solar panel with battery and battery charger
- A sensor AutoCleaner unit
The receiver includes:
- An integrated wireless receiver with antenna
- A digital controller with display and keypad
- Various output options
- A power supply
The wave rider buoy is designed to maintain the sensor’s detecting antenna at the liquid/air interface, despite fluctuations in the liquid level due to waves and tide. The sensor can detect the presence of 0.3 mm (0.01 in) oil on water and monitor the layer growth up to 20 mm (0.79 in) reliably, repeatedly, and without false alarms. Continuous built-in diagnostics monitor system operation.
The Leakwise ID-227WL/PTP sensor uses an industryleading technology of Electromagnetic Energy Absorption. A high-frequency signal is transmitted through the liquid/ air interface to the antenna immersed in the monitored fluids. Higher energy absorption of the fluid causes more loading on the antenna. Since water absorbs more energy than hydrocarbons and air, the loading in water is higher. If the antenna is surrounded by an oil layer or an oil/water mixture, the loading is reduced in proportion to the reduction in water content. This unique, patented technique enables the detection of small layers of oil. Furthermore, it enables continuous monitoring of an oil buildup and the measurement of its thickness.
- Detection Range: 0.3–20 mm (0.01–0.79 in) of hydrocarbon on water or brine
- Working Wave Height: Maximum 2 meters (6.6 ft)
- Tide Range: Unlimited, depending on mooring
- Current: Up to 4 knots (6.8 ft/sec)
- Survival Conditions: Extreme sea conditions. depending on appropriate mooring
- Minimum Liquid Depth: 30 cm (~12.0 in)
- Mooring: Supplied by customer. Should enable free flotation of the Wave Rider in all water conditions.
- Water Temperature: 0 °C to 50 °C (32 °F to 122 ºF); no freezing
- Air Temperature: -10 °C to 60 °C (14 °F to 140 ºF)
Materials & Dimensions
- Sensor and Wave Rider: Hydrocarbon resistant polymers, 316 stainless steel
- Wave Rider Buoy: Diameter: 1,100 mm (3.7 ft), height 700 mm (2.3 ft), weight: 35 kg (77 lb)
- Built-In Power Supply: 12 V @ 18 W solar panel, a 12 V @ 7AH sealed lead-acid battery, and a battery charger
- Power Autonomy: Continuous operation on sunny days (minimum three hours of sun per day); autonomous operation for five sunless days