Lumex Instruments - Model CRAB - Oil Slicks Optical Detector
CRAB is an easy-to-operate, active oil slicks optical detector. The instrument detects the presence of oil using optical sensing with a vertical laser beam and measuring the differences in the reflection properties of water and oil products.
The optimized optical scheme, signal processing routine, and modulation of the light beam intensity provide a drastic decrease of the influence of the wind waves and background illumination on the measurement results.
Remote optical sensing of water surface with vertical laser beam.
Principle of operation is based on the difference in light reflection from water and oil film surface.
- Continuous remote optical sensing, no sampling
- High sensitivity: detection of oil slicks with thickness down to 0.5 micron
- No interference from scattered radiation
- Low interference from ripples and waves (beam/surface angle up to ±20°)
- Built-in data acquisition and processing
- Waterproof housing for outdoor installation
- Ex-proof option is available
- Mounting at stationary points, buoys, motor boats
- Long-term operation without maintenance
- Monitoring of water surfaces (sea, harbors, lakes, rivers)
- Oil leakage detection
- Monitoring of process and waste waters
- Oil slicks optical detector CRAB
- Power supply unit for AC 110–240 V power mains (optional)
CRAB optical detectors are covered by a 12-month warranty.
Our engineers develop a scheme and design for the detectors installation upon customer's request and provide consultations and training.
- Detecting object: Oil slick on water surface
- Min detectable oil film thickness: 0.5 μm
- Mode of measurement: Continuous
- Min response time: 0.1 s
- Signal status outputs: “No”, “Yes” (“Alarm”)
- Communication ports:
- Current loop 4–20 mA
- Twisted pair length: up to 1500 m
- Power supply: 12–15 V, 0.1 A
- Power consumption: up to 3 W
- Ambient conditions:
- Temperature: -10 to +50 ºC
- Humidity: up to 100% (rain)