Maris - Real-Time Cabled Ocean Bottom Seismometers (OBS)
A real-time cabled OBS, pushed or cored into the seafloor, suitable for depths up to to 3000 m / 9,854 ft*. Housed in titanium, the Maris houses a broadband sensor that is fully operational at any angle to support versatile installations. Insertion into the seafloor minimises ambient noise to produce exceptional data quality and increase trawl resistance in shallower deployments. An internal magnetometer and MEMS accelerometer work together to automatically compensate for tilt and horizontal orientation to deliver high-quality waveforms.
The Maris system can be a single instrument or a string of up to eight instruments and includes the Minimus digitiser, housed in a seperate vessel, to deliver data over Ethernet direct to the cabling system. The Minimus also offers a low-latency mode running causal filters alongside traditional acausal filters for earthquake early warning applications. The frequency range of the broadband sensor can be engineered to suit the requirements of the project.
*Deeper options are available.
- Suitable for depths of up to 3000 m (9,854 ft)
- Subsurface burial for improved data quality and trawl resistance
- Easily strung together for daisy chain arrays
- Titanium grade 5 casing
- The Minimus interface unit digitises data at site with real-time streaming over Ethernet to the onshore data centre
- Optional low-latency mode running causal filters
- Power and Ethernet stream via wet-mateable connector
- Synchronised absolute time with onshore GPS
- Flexibility to connect with a wide range of cable systems e.g. optic fibre
- Deployment and cable installation via ROV
- Pushed or cored into seafloor for improved coupling
- ROV deployment
- Cable to shore or cable to buoy systems
- Real-time data streaming
- Local, regional and teleseismic monitoring
- Volcanic monitoring
- Earthquake/Tsunami Early Warning