Mericon Campylobacter spp Kit - For General Detection Of Campylobacter Subspecies
The mericon Campylobacter spp Kit is designed for the detection of several Campylobacter subspecies in food and animal feed samples after enrichment. The mericon Campylobacter spp Kit can detect as few as 10 copies of Campylobacter DNA in a reaction and exhibits high specificity for pathogens this genus. No cross-reactivity was observed with other pathogens using 2500 copies of tested DNA.
For the detection of pathogens in food or animal feed samples using real-time PCR
- Highly sensitive and specific detection of a broad range of pathogens
- Streamlined and uniform detection protocol for all targets
- Coupled to dedicated sample preparation solutions for all pathogen types
- PCR run time of 73 minutes on QIAGEN's Rotor-Gene Q
- Full license for PCR without additional costs
mericon Pathogen Detection Assays are a ready-to-use system for the detection of specific DNA fragments from pathogens in food and animal feed using real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR). These assays perform optimally on the Rotor-Gene Q but have also been validated for block thermal cyclers.
Currently, the suite of mericon Pathogen Detection Assays includes:
- mericon Salmonella spp Kit - For general detection of Salmonella subspecies
- mericon Listeria spp Kit - For general detection of Listeria subspecies
- mericon L. monocytogenes Kit - For specific detection of Listeria monocytogenes
- mericon Campylobacter spp Kit - For general detection of Campylobacter subspecies
- mericon Campylobacter triple Kit - For specific detection of C. jejuni, C. laridis, and C. coli
- mericon VTEC stx 1/2 Kit - For specific detection of verotoxin-producing Escherichia coli
- mericon Cronobacter spp Kit - For specific detection of Cronobacter spp
- mericon S. aureus Kit - For specific detection of Staphylococcus aureus
- mericon Legionella spp Kit - For general detection of Legionella subspecies
- mericon L. pneumophila Kit - For specific detection of Legionella pneumophila
- mericon Shigella spp Kit - For general detection of Shigella subspecies
- mericon Y. enterocolitica Kit - For specific detection of Yersinia enterocolitica
Each mericon PCR Assay is a multiplex PCR that amplifies both a specific DNA target and an internal control with high specificity. The internal control provides data regarding the presence of inhibitors in the tested samples and the overall success of the PCR. Each mericon PCR Assay includes a PCR primer set for a pathogen-specific target sequence, probes labeled with two distinct fluorescent dyes (FAM and MAX NHS Ester), positive control DNA, and all of the reagents necessary to perform the analysis. The Multiplex PCR Master Mix included in each kit contains QIAGEN proprietary technology, including HotStarTaq Plus DNA Polymerase, patented multiplex PCR technology such as Factor MP, and fast cycling technology including Q-bond. Multiplex PCR Master Mix is also highly tolerant to PCR inhibitors.
Features of the mericon Pathogen Detection Assays include:
- Streamlined protocol for pathogen detection that delivers results 3 hours after primary enrichment
- Exceptional sensitivity even with difficult food matrices and challenging pathogen strains
- Standardized detection protocols across all assays so a variety of targets can be analyzed in a single thermal cycler run
- Dedicated sample preparation solutions for an optimal overall workflow performance
- Innovative chemistry that is highly resistant to the inhibitors commonly found in complex foods
Pathogen detection by PCR is based on the amplification of a specific region of the relevant pathogen genome. In real-time PCR the amplified product is detected via target-specific fluorescent probes that bind to the amplified product. Accumulation of the PCR product results in an increased fluorescent signal from the bound probes. Monitoring the fluorescence intensities during the PCR run (i.e., in real time) allows the detection of the accumulating PCR product without having to re-open the reaction tubes afterward.
The probes in mericon PCR Assays are sequence-specific oligonucleotides with a fluorophore and a quencher moiety attached. The fluorophore is at the 5' end of the probe, and the quencher moiety is located at the 3' end. If the target DNA sequence is present, the probe is cleaved by the 5'–3' exonuclease activity of HotStarTaq Plus DNA Polymerase during the extension phase of PCR. This separates the fluorophore and the quencher moiety resulting in a detectable fluorescence that is proportional to the amount of accumulated PCR product.
The PCR primer set for each assay is highly specific and targets a unique and conserved DNA region of the tested pathogen genome that is verified bioinformatically and experimentally. Cross-reactivity has been thoroughly tested with a panel of selected targets for each mericon PCR Assay. Each assay can detect as few as 10 target DNA copies in a reaction.
Dedicated sample preparation solutions are available from QIAGEN for a broad range of starting materials. These solutions were developed to complement mericon PCR Assays, and provide a complete and efficient workflow for food safety testing.
All mericon PCR Assays for pathogen detection can detect as few as 10 copies of target DNA in a reaction. Each mericon PCR Assay has been tested for cross reactivity against a suite of other pathogens, using 2500 copies of tested DNA.