Microbiotests - Model PROTOXKIT F - Ciliated Protozoan Toxicity Test
From Toxkits Equipment
The ciliated Protozoan toxicity test is intended for toxicity screening of chemicals, effluents, surface waters, wastewaters, groundwaters, sediment pore waters and elutriates. Protoxkit F contains all necessary materials to perform six chronic 24h growth inhibition tests with the freshwater ciliated protozoan Tetrahymena thermophila. This small-scale bioassay is cost-effective, culture-independent and highly standardised.
The chronic Tetrahymena thermophila toxicity test is a 24h bioassay based on the growth inhibition of the test organisms, with calculation of the 24h EC50.
- Tubes with ciliated protozoans in steady state condition, to supply the live biota directly for the Tetrahymena thermophila toxicity test.
- Concentrated toxicant dilution medium, tubes with substrate and reconstitution medium, spectrophotometric cells and cell holders.
- Short Bench Protocol and standard operating procedure brochure with easy-to-follow instructions and detailed illustrations.
- Data scoring sheets and a Quality Control specification sheet with batch number of the cysts and the media.
All test materials and equipment included in the Protoxkit F are available separately.
- We produce high-quality uniform axenic stock cultures in strictly controlled conditions. This way, we preclude variability associated with recruitment/maintenance of live stocks in conventional bioassays.
- The quality of the standardised test medium is highly uniform, thanks to simple dilution of concentrated solutions of selected salts with deionised water.
- A Quality Control test with a reference chemical is described in detail, so you can easily check accuracy and reproducibility.
- The ciliated protozoans in steady state condition are directly available, which eliminates the need and the costs of continuous culturing and maintenance of your test organisms.
- The Tetrahymena thermophila toxicity test requires minimal space and equipment:
- conventional laboratory glassware
- If you store the stock culture properly, you can prolong the shelf life of the organisms for several months and reduce test scheduling constraints.
- Simple handlings and scorings.
- Total performance time of the Protozoan toxicity assay is approximately 1 hour.
- We can provide you with a computer program for easy Toxkit data treatment.
- The sensitivity of Tetrahymena thermophila is comparable to that of other ciliates in activated sludges and is hence a good indicator for toxic hazard in influents of wastewater treatment plants.
- Growth inhibition NOEC’s determined with Protoxkit F tests are ecologically meaningful thresholds for the protection of protozoan microfauna in benthic communities and the wellfunctioning of the ciliate component in activated sludges.
- The Tetrahymena thermophila toxicity test is used in many environmental laboratories and research institutes worldwide
- You can find a substantial number of publications, posters, reports and reviews for various uses.