Microbiotests THAMNOTOXKIT F - Cyst-based Thamnocephalus Platyurus Toxicity Test Kit
From Toxkits Equipment
The cyst-based Thamnocephalus platyurus toxicity test is intended for toxicity screening of chemicals, effluents, biotoxins, surface waters, wastewaters, groundwaters, sediment pore waters and elutriates. In Thamnotoxkit F, you find all necessary materials to perform six acute 24h mortality tests with the freshwater crustacean Thamnocephalus platyurus. This cost-effective, culture-independent and highly-standardised bioassay conforms to ISO Standard 14380.
- Tubes with cysts (dormant eggs), which you can hatch on demand within 24h to supply the live biota for the Thamnocephalus platyurus toxicity test.
- Concentrated hatching and toxicant dilution medium, hatching and test containers and micropipettes for the transfer of the organisms.
- Short Bench Protocol and standard operating procedure brochure with easy-to-follow instructions and detailed illustrations.
- Data scoring sheets and a Quality Control specification sheet with a batch number of the cysts and the media.
- We produce high-quality cysts in strictly controlled conditions. This way, we preclude variability associated with recruitment/maintenance of live stocks in conventional bioassays.
- The quality of the standardised test medium is highly uniform, thanks to simple dilution of concentrated solutions of selected salts with deionised water.
- A Quality Control test with a reference chemical is described in detail, so you can easily check accuracy and reproducibility.
- You can hatch the cysts on demand, which eliminates the need and the costs of continuous culturing and maintenance of your test organisms.
- The Thamnocephalus platyurus toxicity test requires minimal space and equipment:
- dissection microscope
- incubator with lateral lights
- conventional laboratory glassware
- If you store the cysts properly, you can prolong their shelf life for several months and reduce test scheduling constraints.
- Simple handlings and scorings.
- Total performance time of the Thamnocephalus toxicity assay is approximately 1 hour.
- We can provide you with a computer program for easy Toxkit data treatment.
- The freshwater Thamnocephalus larvae are very sensitive, in many cases more sensitive than other crustacean test species in acute assays.
- Thamnocephalus platyurus is especially sensitive to biotoxins produced by blue-green algae.
- Thamnotoxkit F is used in many environmental laboratories and research institutes worldwide and is validated by an international interlaboratory comparison.
- You can find a substantial number of publications, posters, reports and reviews for various uses.
- Our freshwater Thamnocephalus platyurus toxicity test strictly adheres to the protocols of ISO Standard 14380.