Model 2408-00 - 8 Inch Tipping Bucket
The 8 inch Tipping Bucket - Model 2408-00 is a precision, low cost instrument designed for measuring rainfall accumulation and rate. The 8 inch Tipping Bucket is constructed entirely of corrosion- resistant materials for accurate, trouble-free operation; and, interfaces to virtually all data acquisition systems.
Water is collected through an 8 inch diameter funnel (National Weather Service approved design), then directed to a tipping mechanism adjusted to tip and dump when the tipping bucket reaches the calibrated level. When the 8 inch Tipping Bucket's first bucket tips, a second catch bucket rises into position under the funnel ready to repeat the cycle. Each 8 inch Tipping Bucket tip causes a magnet to cross a sealed reed switch that causes a contact closure, which is counted by your data collection equipment. After rain is measured, it exits through drain holes in the 8 inch Tipping Bucket's base. The user never has to empty the 8 inch Tipping Bucket. The 8 inch Tipping Buckets have a built-in Tip Rate Compensator which has been designed to add a correction pulse to the accumulated rain totals to compensate for very high rain rates. This feature enables the 8 inch Tipping Buckets to factor in losses in collected water that occur each time the tipping bucket passes through the center point. These losses occur because, as it is tipping to the other bucket side a small volume of water flows into the bucket side that has already been counted by the 8 inch Tipping Bucket.
The 8 inch Tipping Bucket - Model 2408-00 has a built-in bull's eye level indicator and pre-drilled tabs for mounting. The 8 inch Tipping Bucket's heavy cast-aluminum base provides a stable platform. Installation consists of attaching the 8 inch Tipping Bucket's three support tabs to a stand or mounting base. Pole mounting on a 1-1/2 inch threaded mast is also available for the 8 inch Tipping Bucket.
All components of the 8 inch Tipping Bucket are capable of withstanding repeated freezing and thawing. The 8 inch Tipping Bucket's funnel is made from XenoyTM resin, which is specifically formulated for harsh conditions. The powder coated aluminum housing protects the 8 inch Tipping Bucket from damaging material such as hail or rocks. The 8 inch Tipping Buckets come complete with a debris- filtering screen and a 25 ft (7.6 m) signal cable with strain relief.
- 8 inch (20.3 cm) Orifice
- Quality Construction
- Built-In Discharge Outlets
- Corrosion-Resistant Materials
- Accuracy of ±1% for 0 to 10 inches per hour
- Event Resolution 001 inches
- Accuracy ±1% for 0 to 10 inches per hour (0 to 254 mm/hr)
- Orifice Diameter 8 inches (203 cm)
- Sensor Element Magnetically Operated Reed Switch
- Contact Closure Normally Open - Momentary Contact
- Power 4 to 20 VDC @ <100uA
- Operating Temperature 32° to 122° F (0° to 50° C)
- Storage Temperature -58° to 158° F (-50° to 70° C)
- Drain Holes Threaded
- Mounting Bolt Circle 92 inch diameter (234 cm) @ 120° apart, Pre-Drilled Tabs (Integral Part of Base)
- Cable Length 25 ft (76 m)
- Funnel XenoyTM Resin
- Sensor Housing Aluminum
- Base Cast Aluminum
- Dimensions 8x125 in (203x318 cm) (DxH)
- Weight 6 lbs (27 kg)
- Shipping Weight 9 lbs (41 kg)