Ionox - Non-Thermal Plasma (NTP) Technology
Ionox Non-Thermal Plasma (NTP) technology utilizes high voltage electrodes connected to a rapidly pulsing, high voltage power supply. The configuration of the electrodes creates a rapidly reversing, high intensity electrical flux within the electrode air gap. As the contaminated air stream passes through the electrode gap, the high intensity electric flux density fractures the volatile organic compound (VOC) molecules within the air stream, and strips and heats very low mass electrons to extremely high temperatures. Large volumes of micro discharge streamers, essentially tiny lightning bolts which produce a violet glow, are created. These streamers collide with diatomic oxygen and water vapor molecules in the contaminated air stream, forming highly reactive oxidative radicals, known as Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) and Hydroxyl Radicals (•OH). This extremely reactive mixture of ionized gas and very high temperature electrons is known as Non-Thermal Plasma (NTP).
Within the non-thermal plasma inside the Ionox System, the ROS, •OH, and free electrons instantaneously react with the fractured VOC molecules to produce mainly water vapor and carbon dioxide. The key advantage of utilizing VOC oxidation to eliminate odor is that it allows oxidation reactions that would otherwise only occur at high temperatures of >1,350° Fahrenheit (>730° Celsius) to occur rapidly, with little measurable heat rise. NTP oxidation technology is highly energy efficient, as there is little heat rise of the treated air stream.
Ionox Odor Elimination Systems do not use plasma injection. On the contrary, Ionox Systems are “true” implementations of Non-Thermal Plasma technology. Free high temperature electrons, ROS, and •OH have a very short half-life and cannot be injected in reactively significant volumes, even over very short distances. First used in the late 1800s, ozone injection is a very old approach to odor control and has been shown to achieve odor reduction of 25-35% at best. So-called “NTP Injectors” or “Plasma Injectors” can only inject long-lived lower oxidation potential radicals, such as ozone. These systems can best be described as “ambient air fed ozone injectors” and are designed to produce large volumes of concentrated ozone. Quite the opposite, Ionox Systems minimize the production of residual ozone. We believe that any system that injects ozone into an air stream and that does not pass 100% of the contaminated air stream through the electrode gap is not NTP technology.
- Provides Odor Elimination of over 90% *1
- Patented Non-Thermal Plasma (NTP) Technology
- Low Operating and Maintenance Costs
- Energy Efficient, Green Technology
- Only consumable is Electrical Power
- No Water, Chemicals, Natural Gas or other Fuel Consumption
- Typical Power Consumption Ranges from 0.8 to 1.6 Watts Per Cubic Feet Per Minute (CFM) *2
- Excellent Operational Reliability
- No Moving Parts
- Simple to Maintain and Operate
- Single-Unit Systems can treat up to 85,000 CFM *3
- Able to treat any volume of air with multiple systems
- Remote Program Updates & Troubleshooting available via Ethernet Connection
- 24 Hour Monitoring*
- Standard Siemens PLC & HMI included, Allen Bradley also available*
Ionox systems include a PLC based control system with a touch screen interface and a Plasma Generation Cell cabinet which contains all of the high voltage components. To ensure operator safety, all Ionox systems include a Category 2 electrical safety interlock switch and retained key interlock system to prevent the PGC cabinet from being opened unless the system power is turned off. We routinely do extensive field testing and use only high quality, reliable components. With simple routine maintenance, Ionox Odor Elimination Systems provide many years of trouble-free operation.
Ionox Odor Elimination Systems employ patented technology (US Patent no. 6,991,768, no. 7,767,167, and no. 8,475,723). By using hermetically-sealed high voltage electrodes, we prevent electrical arcing which is a common problem in other industrial-scale NTP systems.
*1Verifiable odor elimination percentage calculated by Detection Threshold (D/T) analysis of 'after treatment' samples divided by the D/T of “before treatment” samples.
*2 0.47 to 0.94 watts per cubic metres per hour
*3 102,000 cubic metres per hour
General Schematic of an installed Ionox Odor Elimination System
- Animal & Fish Feed Manufacturing
- Pet Food Production
- Human Food Preparation
- Tobacco Processing
- Sewage Treatment Plants
- Other Nuisance Organic Odors
No Water, No Gas, No Chemicals
IonO2x does not require the use of any consumables.The only consumable that is required is ElectricalPower. Unlike other odor control systems that requirewater, gas or chemicals to run..
IonO2x is a green technology that oxidizes VolatileOrganic Compounds (VOCs). We do produce any fossilfuels which produces large amounts of green housegases. There is also no biohazard zone, bioaerosolexposure or chemical waste.
Our system is designed to oxidize odor active VOCscontained in large volumes of process and buildingexhaust air streams. Treating exhaust air by passing itthrough our non-thermal plasma stream eliminates90-95+% of odor. .
IonO2x Systems are used to treat odors from animalfeed, pet food processing, tobacco factories,sewagetreatment exhaust, human food production. We arealways open to entering new markets with interestedmarkets.
IonO2x requires minimal maintenance as our systemshave no running parts. Our systems were designed for simple routine maintenance, to provide many years oftrouble-free operation.
Other vendors are marketing 'Cold Plasma' or 'Non-Thermal Plasma' injectors. If one reviews the information online, you will find that in fact the equipment being marketed can accurately be described as 'ambient air fed, ozone generator/injectors.' Ozone injection has been tried for many years and will provide partial odor reduction (approx 25 to 35%). 'Ozone injection' is not an implementation of 'non thermal oxidiation' technology. Simply put, you cannot inject 'active oxygen' or 'cold plasma' because the only radical with a long enough half-life to survive the injection process is ozone.
Without an in-depth study of how 'non thermal plasma' is created, it is difficult for air quality engineering professionals, industry executive managers and government air pollution permitting officials to understand how NTO odor control technology works. 'True NTO' technology requires passing 100% of the treated gas through the electrode gap. As such, none of the research findings associated with 'non thermal plasma' VOC oxidation/odor elimination are applicable to 'ozone injection' systems. When 'ozone injection' is mislabelled as 'NTP' technology, it creates a false impression amongst the general public, industry managers and government officials that 'Cold or Non-Thermal Plasma' technology is not effective in eliminating odor emissions.
Attributes Differentiating 'True NTO' To Ozone Injection
- True NTO has been proven scientifically & in full scale industrial odor control systems to reduce odor s by >85-95%
- 100% of the contaminated, odourous, gas stream passes directly through the high voltage, high frequency electrode gap.
- No ambient air is used and there is NO injection.
- Within the electrode gap, a high intesnity, rapidlay pulsating, electrostatic flux is formed that fractures the diatomic oxygen, water vapour molecules and many of the bonds of the VOC, odourous, compounds passing through the electrode gap.
- Very high oxidation potential Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) and Hydroxyl radicals (OH) are created.
- ROS & OH radicals are high unstable, with a very short half-life (50< nanoseconds). ROS & OH radicals cannot be 'injected' even over a very short duct distance. These radicals exist in reactive quantities >nly within the electrode gai.lnJectionPn?
- Other systems-puri^r&fVg^to inject 'Non-Thermal Plasma' can only inject long lived i idicals (i.e. ozone), not higher oxidation potential ROS OH or 'active oxygen' radical*.
- The concentration of radicals produced is directly proportional to the energy that is dissipated within the electrode gap.
- With any given electrode design, a step up in power usage equates to a proportionate increase in radical production.
- A higher electrical flux density (measured in applied volts per millimeter of a electrode gap distance) equates to higher oxidation portenital radicals and an increase in the fracturing rate of VOC compound molecular bonds (equating to improved VOC oxidation and more complete odor elimination).
- Both frequency & voltage are important variables with respect to the volume of oxidation potential of the radicals produced.
- True NTO systems create only low levels of ozone within the electrode gap. True NTP systems are NOT designed to produce dangerous, high concentration of ozone as per 'ambient air ozone generators/injectors.'
- In Ion02x true NTP systems the ozone level in the treated exhaust stream is used as a flag to confirm that the correct system power level is being used. Zero ozone level in the exhaust indicates that the power level is too low. A small amount of ozone in exhaust indicated that the power level is optimum. A high level of ozone in exhaust indicates that the power level is too high and electrical energy is being wasted.
- Iono2x True NTO systems use an ozone sensor in the exhaust stream to automatically adjust system power. This minimizes ozone production and system power usage, particularly when odor compound loadings, in the contaminated gas stream, are variable.
IONOX Odour Elimination
- Energy Efficient
- Green Technlogy
- Very Reliable -solid state components
- Patented & the only system using hermetically scaled high voltage electrodes
- All electrical wiring outside of the exhaust air stream; eliminates high voltage arcing.
- Has low air pressure drops across the plasma cells of 2 to 3 inches of water column, minimizing the fan power requirements