From Water Sanitation
Ozone is a green solution to further treating and disinfecting wastewater. Ozone is produced on site and is all natural, formed from only oxygen.
- No by-products or waste products
- The use of ozone eliminates the need to transport chemicals to the site
- Ozone is produced on-site from air and electricity, all renewable resources
- Ozone is a completely renewable resource
- Potential hazardous storage of chemical is removed with ozone use
- After ozone is dissolved into water, ozone reverts to oxygen leaving no residual in the water
- Many OHS concerned are eliminated or reduced.
- No need for dangerous goods handling and storage.
Disinfection – Using ozone for wastewater disinfection or sterilisation is very common. The benefits of ozone for this application include; low ongoing costs, no chemical storage requirements, no residual chemicals left in the water such as harmful chlorination by-products.
Secondary Benefits of Ozone Use
The use of ozone in wastewater disinfection has gained popularity in recent years due to the secondary effects that ozone may offer in some applications. These secondary benefits have helped make ozone a cost effective alternative, and a necessary alternative in some applications.
- Colour removal – While ozone is used primarily for disinfection a secondary effect is color removal of the effluent water stream. Using ozone for disinfection may offer the elimination of a second technologies such as clarifiers, for color removal.
- Odor Removal – Oxidation of odor causing compounds in the water such as sulfate reducing bacteria, may also be a secondary effect of ozone use in wastewater. By eliminating these compounds odor control may be completed during the disinfection process.
- Micro-pollutant Removal – Micro-pollutant removal from water using ozone is gaining interest at a rapid rate. Ozone has been used successfully to treat some heavy metals as well as some persistent organic contaminants which may eliminate the need to add processes in the treatment stream to comply with discharge regulations.
Emerging Applications for Ozone Usage
- Cooling Tower disinfection – blowdown reduction, effective biofilm removal
- Swimming Pool disinfection – no more red itchy eyes or faded swimmers
- Groundwater remediation (petrochemical oxidation)
- Laundry disinfection – reduced bleach consumption
- Tri-butyl tin removal
- Poly-chlorinated bi-phenyl (PSB) destruction
- Food processing
- Poultry carcass washing
- Cyanide destruction
- Pesticide, Herbicide and insecticide elimination
- Heavy metal precipitation
- BOD reduction of domestic waste
- Coagulation and Turbidity removal