Omnisens Lynx transforms a fiber optic cable into a continuous, real time monitoring system at minimal extra cost. This technique helps operators detect the earliest stages of threats to the pipeline, giving them time and information to enable an efficient response. An external fiber optic cable, often included during pipeline installation for communications, is used to detect leaks, ground movement and third party intrusion, helping avoid pipeline damage.
- Omnisens Lynx fiber optic distributed sensing system provides:: enabling the operator to:
- Earliest warning of an small adverse event: Respond sooner, with more time to plan and act appropriately, or prior to event escalation.
- Location of these incipient events: Organize the response according the location of the event
- Evolution of the event: Monitor closely leak, erosion (temperature) and ground movement (strain) development, checking that action taken is effective or whether further mitigation is required.
- Continuous, real time monitoring: Be alerted to changes and events as they happen, rather than wait for the next visual inspection, fly over or other notification.
- Entire pipeline length or span monitoring: See events/changes anywhere along the monitored pipeline
Omnisens proprietary monitoring software ensures that detected events are analyzed so that alerts are communicated and false alarms minimized. Omnisens Lynx system is modular, built around the requirements and risks of each pipeline project.
Each Lynx system offers a range of high performance interrogators:
Raman and Brillouin Distributed Temperature Sensing (DTS) detect temperature changes from which leaks can be inferred. Ground water movement and erosion can also be thus detected.
Geohazard effect and ground movement detection:
Brillouin Distributed Temperature and Strain Sensing (DTSS) is sensitive to movements of soil along the pipeline way which may, for example, result from a landslide, rock fall or seismic event. The strain induced on the optical fiber sensor installed on the pipeline right of way provides the earliest detection and location of the event.
a dedicated system based on fiber optic distributed Vibration/Acoustic Sensing (DVS/DAS) detects intrusion.
Omnisens is uniquely placed to supply a Lynx pipeline integrity monitoring system to suit each pipeline’s or pipeline integrity management system’s requirement.
The Omnisens Lynx System forms one element of the operator’s integrated security system. It provides continuous, real-time monitoring to detect and locate:
- very small, developing (incipient) leaks
- early signs of landslide, ground movement and the effects of other geohazards
- seasonal changes impacting surrounding soil, (e.g.: flooding, freezing, thawing)
- early signs of soil erosion
- right-of-way (ROW) third party intrusion (authorized and non-authorized)
- position and speed of pipeline smart pigs
The system comprises:
Omnisens High Performance Distributed Sensing (DTS)
- Based on Brillouin or Raman scattering depending on the project requirements, DTS detects and locates small temperature and or strain changes along the entire length of a pipeline continuously, in real time.
- Omnisens DITEST (Distributed Temperature and Strain Sensing) interrogators are based on Brillouin sensing using single mode optical fibers as the sensor. They measure strain and temperature or both. So DITEST is a DTS which provides effective leak detection (via temperature monitoring) of pipelines, as well as being highly sensitive to ground movement, via strain detection.
- Omnisens Raman DTS interrogators provide temperature monitoring of pipelines using multimode optical fiber as the sensor. For many pipelines, particularly short lengths these are ideal.
- Detects and analyses vibrations around the pipeline right-of-way enabling accurate and efficient event detection/localization and classification into threat and non-threat events. Activities close to the pipeline (normal or unauthorized) are detected, localized and defined as threat or non-threat depending on the measured vibration characteristics.
- Processes temperature, strain and vibration data. Generates alerts, manages data handling and storage in a proprietary database.
Interface and Communication
- Third party system communication via TCP/IP communication or relays.
- Standard single mode fiber optic telecommunications cable is required for DITEST and DIVA, multimode fiber for Omnisens Raman DTS. This can be existing cable (for leak detection), or Omnisens specified or Omnisens supplied cable.
- ‘See at a glance’ GIS interface which identifies the location of an alert on the route associated to its KPs and GPS coordinates and enables visualization of event evolution.
Performance: Omnisens Lynx combines the measuring performance of Omnisens DITEST (for the earliest detection of leaks and/or ground movement) and Omnisens DIVA (for intrusion detection) with Omnisens Map user Interface to provide a cost effective pipeline integrity monitoring solution.
Omnisens DITEST and DIVA interrogators monitor distances in excess of 40 km. The spatial resolution of DITEST is set during configuration and stays the same along the distance range. High optical budget gives an optical fiber installation margin. Omnisens Raman based DTS is suitable for shorter pipeline lengths.
Sensitivity: Incipient temperature (leak), strain (ground movement) and vibration (intrusion) events can be detected and localized early, giving the operator time to take action.
Communication: Status and detected events can be communicated in real time to a range of third party systems. Omnisens follows Information Security Management guidelines to ensure information integrity, availability and traceability.
Cost effective and flexible: If fiber optic cable is being installed with the pipeline, using some of the fibers to provide leak and intrusion detection is done at minimal additional cost. A fiber optic cable for ground movement detection is more specialized. For leak detection (temperature monitoring) of shorter pipeline lengths Omnisens Raman DTS is available. It requires multimode sensing fiber and does not provide ground movement detection.