OSI - Model APG-815-DS - All - Precipitation Sensor
From New Products
APG-815-DS measures rain and snow and applies algorithms to automatically determine the precipitation type, rate, and water equivalent accumulation. The APG-815-DS is vastly superior to traditional type sensors and offers the reliability and proven performance you need!
APG-815-DS measure rain and snow by detecting the optical irregularities induced within the sample volume by precipitation particles falling through a beam of partially coherent infrared light. These irregularities are known as scintillation. The twinkling of stars is a familiar example of scintillation. By detecting the intensity of the scintillations which are characteristic of precipitation, the actual rainfall rate can be determined.
APG-815-DS precipitation sensor provides accurate measurement of precipitation in all weather
conditions. Designed for rugged, unattended operation, APGs have been field proven in adverse environments around the world and, unlike other sensors, on ocean deployed data buoys and ships.
OSI All Precipitation Gauge is not affected by environmental factors which cause significant errors with traditional rain and snow gauges. which collect precipitation to measure. The APG has no collectors, buckets, or siphons to corrode or clog. The sensors use AGC circuitry to eliminate the effects of LED output power or dirty optics. In fact, sensor performance is maintained even when over 75% of the light is blocked! Diagnostics alert the user if the signal strength is too low for normal operation. The electro-optical design provides for an extremely reliable sensor with a calculated MTBF in excess of 60,000 hours.
This technology is the basis for the present weather sensor supplied to the FAA/NWS/U.S. Navy for the Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS).
Adding the optional HIP-100 acoustic sensor provides for enhanced hail and ice pellet discrimination. OSI sensors are widely used by airports and regional DOT's across the US & throughout the world. No other weather instrument can provide this powerful combination of high performance, low cost and proven reliability and no other company can provide the proven level of support and customer satisfaction that OSi does!
- Instantaneous precipitation rate measurement
- Rainfall as light as 0.1 mm/hr. or as heavy as > 500mm/hr easily measured
- No evaporation errors, overflow or mechanical limits to worry about
- No moving parts, no antifreeze chemicals
- Operates 24/7 under harsh field conditions
- Lower heater power requirements than heated tipping bucket rain gauge
- Dust / dirt on lenses does not affect measurement; ultra-low maintenance
- No sampling problems from wind. Slant path rain errors are negligible
- RS- 232 digital output allows instant / detailed analysis
- Intelligent sensor; automatic correction and continuous internal monitoring
- Flexible mounting, even on moving platforms (buoys / shipboard)
- Lasts for years
- Nominal 12VDC power
- Measurement Technique: Scintillation with optical forward scatter and optional acoustic*
- Rain Dynamic Range: 0.1 to500mm/hr
- Rain Accumulation: 0.001 to 999.999 mm
- Rain Accuracy: 5% Accumulation
- Rain Resolution: 0.001 mm
- Snow Dynamic Range: 0.01 to 50 mm/hr water eq.
- Snow Accumulation: 0.001 to 999.999 mm water eq.
- Snow Accuracy: 10%
- Snow Resolution: 0.001 mm
- Time Constant: 10 seconds
- APG Data Update Rate: Once per minute - typical Every 5 seconds - available
- Hail / Ice Pellet Reporting Accuracy: Correct ID better than 90% of time'
- Supply Voltage: 12-15VDC
- Current Drain: 300-400 ma (with AHT current drain depends on ambient temperature)
- Signal Output: RS-232
- Transient Protection: All power and signal lines protected by MOV
- Temperature: -40° to 122° F (-40° to 50° C)
- Humidity: Oto 100%, Condensing
- Precipitation / Dust: NEMA 4 type protection (Powder-coated aluminum)
- Size: 763 mm L x 254 mm W x 102 mm H
- Weight: 3 kg w/o cables
- Cable Length: 15 meter
- Optional HIP-100Size: 34 x 4 x 9 inches (865 x 90 x 216 mm)
- Optional HIP-100 Weight: 5 lbs. (2.3 kg)
* References to acoustic / h on. Specifications are subje ail c Cttl ind ice particles 5 change without requires optional HIP-100 Acoustic Hail and Ice Pellet add-notice.