OSi - Model OWI-650 - Low-Power Automated Weather Observation Systems (LPAWOS)
A portable system built around the OWI-650 weather sensor. Designed from the ground up for easy deployment anywhere, it's low power requirements make it well suited for portable battery and solar powered applications. OWI-650 is more than just a sensor, it's a system. No separate data acquisition system is required for additional sensors. Typical systems include wind speed/direction, barometric pressure, and temperature/ humidity sensors. OSI’s patented adaptive algorithms use artificial-intelligence derived from over 25 years and over 200 million field hours of real-world data. Implementing a portable automated weather station with weather identification and visibility sensor capability has never been easier or as cost-effective.
The LP-AWS is an advanced, portable, Low Power Automated Weather Station built around the OWI- 650 Low Power Weather Identifier and Visibility Sensor (LP-WIVIS). The low power requirements of the OWI-650 make it well suited for portable battery and solar powered applications. The system has been designed from the ground up for fast setup anywhere.
The OWI-650 measures visibility and detects rain, snow, drizzle, freezing and mixed precipitation conditions The OWI-650 is more than just a sensor. It is a system. No separate data acquisition system is required to add optional meteorological sensors. Implementing a portable automated weather station with weather identification and visibility sensor capability has never been easier or as cost effective.
The fully automated OWI-650 provides accurate visibility, present weather and precipitation measurements. Typical systems include other optional meteorological sensors including wind, pressure, and temperature/ humidity sensors.
OSI’s patented environmentally adaptive weather identification algorithms use artificial-intelligence technology derived from over 25 years experience and over 200 million field hours of real-world data from OSI sensors installed around the world. The result is the most advanced / easily deployable Automated Weather Station with optical weather identifier and visibility sensor available.
- Easy installation
- Portable system which reports present weather and visibility
- Intelligent algorithms based on over 200 million hours of OSI sensor field data
- Solar, Battery or AC Powered
- Small size, light weight, rugged design
- Other sensors easily added
- Data radio options available
- Separate data acquisition system not required
- Design for unattended operation
- Virtually no maintenance required
- Built-in self diagnostics & testing
- Measurement Technique: Scintillation with optical forward scatter and optional acoustic*
- Data Reporting Update Rate: 1 minute
- Present Weather Codes Reported: More than 50 NWS and WMO codes
- Present Weather Type Identification: Rain, freezing rain, snow, freezing drizzle, mist, mixed, fog, haze, clear
- Snow / Rain Accumulation: 0.001 to 999.999 mm
- Snow / Rain Measurement Resolution: 0.001 mm
- Rain Dynamic Range: 0.1 to 3000 mm/hr
- Rain Measurement Accuracy: 5% accumulation
- Snow Dynamic Range: 0.01 to 300 mm/hr
- Snow Measurement Accuracy: 10% accumulation
- Visibility / RVR Dynamic Range (metric and ANSI units & extended ranges available): 0.01 to 10+ km, 0.001 to 7.1 miles
- Visibility Contrast Threshold: 5%
- Ambient Light Dynamic Measurement Range: 0 to 9,990 candles / m2
- Power Requirements
- Electronics: 3.6 vdc @ 375 mA
- Heaters: 12 vdc @ 600 mA
- Transient Protection: All power & signal lines fully protected
- Signal Output: RS-232 ASCII, simple polled protocol
- Temperature: -40° to 122° F (-40° to 50° C)
- Humidity: 0 to 100%
- Precipitation / Dust: NEMA 4 type protection
- DSP-WIVIS Sensor Size: 21 x 8 x 4 inches (53 x 20 x 10 cm)
- DSP-WIVIS Sensor Weight: 4.25 lbs. (1.9 kg)
- Cable Length: 12 ft. (3.7 meter)
- The LPAWOS is a modular system. A partial list of options includes:
- Wind Speed/Direction
- Temperature/Relative Humidity
- LPAWOS is easily adaptable. For other options, or additional sensors contact OSI.
- OWI-650 is the end result of twenty years of devising new approaches to make our original technology more accurate, more efficient, more flexible, and more economical. It's the most sensor for the money - ever.
- PSB-650: AC-powered junction box
- PSB-650S: Power Junction Box w/Solar Kit
- PSB-650B: Power Junction Box w/Rechargeable Battery
- TRI-650: AWS Tripod
- Data Radio: Contact OSI