OSi - Model OWI-650 LP-WIVIS - Present Weather and Visibility Sensors
From Weather Sensors
The basic OWI design made smaller, with lower power requirements. Originally designed for military use requiring portability and quick setup, it now forms the core of our LPAWOS system. It can be powered by battery, solar panel, or conventional AC.
The OWI-650 LP-WIVIS™ has been designed from the ground up for quick deployment anywhere. The LP- WIVIS is the first present weather and visibility sensor designed for battery powered or solar powered applications.
The LP-WIVIS™ is more than just a sensor. It is a system. Other sensors including wind, temperature, relative humidity, and barometric pressure may be easily added. The LP-WIVIS™ serves as both sensor and data acquisition system. No separate data acquisition system is required.
The fully automated instrument provides accurate visibility, present weather and precipitation measurement in a single sensor. This next generation intelligent sensor uses all digital signal processing (DSP) for no-drift high-accuracy results. OSi’s patented environmentally adaptive algorithms use artificial-intelligence technology derived from over 25 years experience and over 200 million field hours of real-world data from our sensors installed around the world. The result is the most advanced / easily deployable weather sensor in the world.
The LP-WIVIS™ is already a low power present weather and visibility sensor but to further reduce the power requirements the LP-WIVIS™ may be operated in intermittent mode. In intermittent mode, the sensor is automatically powered up for one minute, reports present weather and visibility measurements and then is powered down. The heaters are independently controlled. In many environments the heaters are never powered on. Advanced detection algorithms report dew or frost on lens and control heater function.
The LP-WIVIS™ measures visibility and detects and quantifies rain, snow, drizzle, freezing and mixed precipitation conditions. The sensor is designed for year-round continuous operation in all climates from Antarctica to tropical rain forests.
Thanks to the advanced DSP electronics, the typical need for field calibration is completely eliminated. OSi Sensors are widely used by airports and regional DOT's across the US & throughout the world. No other present weather and visibility sensor can provide this powerful combination of high performance, low power, quick deployability and proven reliability! No other company can provide the proven level of support and customer satisfaction that OSi does!
Rechargeable batteries, solar power kits, spread spectrum radios, and additional sensors are all available options.
- Solar, Battery or AC Powered
- Small size, light weight, rugged design
- DSP based – no field calibration required
- Other sensors easily added
- Data radio options available
- Advanced scintillation technology
- Intelligent algorithms based on over 200 million hours of OSi sensor field data
- Easy Installation and integration
- Long-term reliability – designed for unattended operation 24/7/365
- Reports over 50 NWS / WMO codes
- Virtually no maintenance required
- Built-in self diagnostics & testing
- Measurement Technique: Scintillation with optical forward scatter arid optional acoustic*
- Data Reporting Update Rate: 1 minute
- Present Weather Codes Reported: More than 50 NWS and WMO codes
- Present Weather Type Identificatio: Rain, freezing rain, snow, freezing drizzle clear, hail and ice pellets*, mist, mixed, fog, haze,
- Snow / Rain Accumulation: 001 to 999 mm
- Snow / Rain Measurement Resolution: 0.001 mm
- Rain Dynamic Range: 0.1 to3000mm/hr
- Rain Measurement Accuracy: 5% accumulation
- Snow Dynamic Range: 0.01 to300mm/hr
- Snow Measurement Accuracy: 10% accumulation
- Hail / Ice Pellet Reporting Accuracy: Correct ID better than 90% of time'
- Visibility/RVR Dynamic Range (metric and 0.001 to 10+ km ANSI units available): 0.001 to 7.1 miles
- Visibility/RVR Time Constant: 3 minute harmonic
- Visibility/RVR Contrast Threshold: 5%
- Ambient Light Dynamic Measurem: ent Range: 0 to 9,990 candles / m2
- Power Requirements: 10-18 VDC
- Electronics: 3.6 vdc @ 375 mA
- Heaters: 12 vdc@ 600 mA
- Transient Protection: All power & signal lines fully protected
- Signal Output: RS-232 ASCII, simple polled protocol
- Temperature: -40° to 140° F (-40° to 60° C)
- Humidity: 0 to 100%
- Precipitation / Dust: NEMA 4 type protection
- DSP-WIVIS Sensor Size: 21 x 8 x 4 inches (53 x 20 x 10 cm)
- DSP-WIVIS Sensor Weight: 4.25 lbs. (1.9 kg)
- Cable Length: 12 ft. (3.7 meter)
Specifications are subject to change without notice.