OSi - Model VIS-430-DS - Visibility Sensor
From Weather Sensors
The OSi VIS-430-DS is a state-of-the-art triple aperture forward scatter visibility sensor. Unlike traditional two-headed visibility sensor designs the VIS-430 does not require periodic field calibration. This results in tremendous time savings and ease of use.
The VIS-430-DS is ideal for Road Weather Information Systems as well as Airport Automated Weather Observing Systems when present weather information is not required.
The transmitter unit contains an IRED diode and lens with dual heaters. The receiver contains two (2) independent receiver assemblies, each consisting of a photo diode, lens with dual heaters, and preamplifier electronics. One of the receivers detects in-beam signal and the other detects forward scatter signal. The two signals are processed by Digital Signal Processing (DSP) board. The advanced fuzzy logic self-calibration algorithm uses information from both the in-beam and forward scattered receivers.
The self-regulating lens heaters prevent dew, frost, and snow from building up on the lenses. Heaters are 'on' continuously but draw more current when the outside temperature is cold and less current when the temperature is warm. All wiring between transmit and receive heads is within the welded sensor frame. The WIVIS sensor is completely sealed from water intrusion at the factory.
- State of the art forward scatter visibility sensor
- DSP based - no field calibration required
- Virtually no maintenance required
- Outstanding performance yet low cost
- Rugged design - field proven from tropical to sub-arctic environments
- Easy Installation and integration
- Long-term reliability - designed for unattended operation 24/7/365
- Unaffected by dust or buildup on lenses
- Built-in self -diagnostics & testing
- Enhanced EMI and surge protection
- Measurement Technique: Optical Forward Scatter
- Data Reporting Update Rate: 10 seconds
- Visibility Dynamic Range (metric and ANSI units): 0.01 to 10+ km (standard range) 0.01 to 25+ km (optional range) 0.01 to 50+ km (optional range)
- Visibility Accuracy: 20%
- Visibility Contrast Threshold: 5%
- Ambient Light Dynamic Measurement Range: 0 to 9,990 candles /m2
- Power Requirements: 10-18 VDC, 3 A nominal
- Transient Protection: All power & signal lines fully protected
- Signal Output: RS-232 ASCII, simple polled protocol
- Temperature: -40° to 140° F (-40° to 60c C)
- Humidity: 0 to 100%
- Precipitation / Dust: NEMA 4 type protection
- Sensor Size: 35x5x11 inches (890 x 130 x280 mm)
- Sensor Weight: 10 lbs. (4.5 kg)
(Specifications subject to change without notice.)