Ovivo - Model SEL - Submerged Effluent Launder
The Ovivo® Submerged Effluent Launder (SEL) uses a simple, innovative design that eliminates the need for launder covers or algae cleaning systems, weir, scum baffle and density current baffle. The 5-in-1 design replaces the need to operate and maintain multiple components minimizing equipment and maintenance costs and significantly reducing installation time and cost. The 5-in-1 design offers five functions in one piece of equipment: 1) Launder 2) Weir 3) Scum Baffle 4) Density Current Baffle 5) Launder Cover
The Ovivo® Submerged Effluent Launder (SEL) is ideal for new and retrofit wastewater treatment plants looking for a cost-effective, low-maintenance solution to control clarifier algae growth.
Eliminates need for launder covers or algae cleaning systems, weir, scum baffle and density current baffle
Significantly reduces installation time and cost
Minimizes equipment and maintenance costs, by providing a single piece of equipment that performs many functions and eliminates algae growth.
- Eliminates the need to form concrete effluent launders on new tanks
- Self-supporting and requires no external supports
Reduce maintenance cost
- Eliminates need to maintain, adjust and or replace algae brush/spray cleaning systems
- Eliminates need for operator to manually clean effluent launders and its associated safety issues
More forgiving system
- More surface area for settling
- Full surface area skimming
- All components are underwater
- Submerged orifices prevent floatables from exiting into the effluent
- Prevents unequal flow distribution during high winds
- Equal or better effluent quality
- Prevents potential launder cover projectile during high winds
- Minimizes UV degradation
One component serves as five functions:
- Scum Baffle
- Density Current Baffle
- Launder Cover
It is comprised of an upper launder plate and a lower launder plate.
The upper launder plate comprises three sections that serve five functions. The upper section is a vertical plate that functions as a scum baffle and as a connection point to the clarifier tank wall. The middle section, integral to the upper and lower section and angled downwardly and obliquely, functions as the upper boundary of the submerged launder. In addition, orifices are located near the bottom of the middle section to collect clarifier effluent. Orifices are significantly submerged to minimize sunlight to prevent algae growth serving the function of a launder cover. The lower section is integral to the upper and middle section and angled downwardly and obliquely, extending below the lower launder plate serving as a density current baffle.
The lower launder section serves as the bottom boundary of the submerged launder. It is anchored to the clarifier tank wall and is fastened to the upper launder section above the density current baffle section and below the orifices.
The submerged effluent launder must not exceed the following design parameters:
- Maximum head loss of 12 inches through the submerged effluent launder system
- Maximum launder velocity of 4 fps
- Maximum orifice velocity of 5 fps
Using the OVIVO’s proprietary sizing program, the following values will be calculated:
- Orifice diameter, depth and spacing
- Total number of orifices
- Upper launder plate angle of projection from horizontal plane
- Length of density current plate
- Head loss
- Maximum launder velocity
- Maximum orifice velocity
- Flowrate at each orifice to illustrate that flow rate is distributed evenly to each orifice with a standard deviation of ±5%