PyroPlas - Plasma Arc Destruction of PFAS
PyroPlas® is a Plasma Arc Destruction process that destroys any organic compounds introduced to it via pyrolysis. The high-energy plasma torch produces plasma consisting of atoms, ions and electrons with temperatures far in excess of those attained by high temperature incineration. The core of the plasma can reach temperatures of well over 10,000°C. The intense, flameless condition degrades all complex molecules into their elemental forms. The atoms are then neutralised to allow them to reform into harmless process by-products, typically in the form of brine effluent.
- Higher temperatures with rapid quench
- Excellent heat transfer systems allowing lower system thermal inerti
- High energy efficiency
- Compact Process
- Extremely safe operation
- Complete destruction of wastes with high DRE (99.9999%)
- Instantaneous shutdown - the entire process is fully computer controlled and monitored. If required, shut-down can be initiated within milli-seconds
- Emissions to the atmosphere are substantially lower than existing and proposed international standards
- Low capital cost comparable to other technologies
- Servicing is simple, clean and inexpensive
- Plant utilisation above 90% is common
- The PyroPlas® can be shut down and back up and running in less than half an hour
- The formation of undesirable organic molecules such as dioxins and furans are avoided
- Negligible risk of emission during process interruptions.
PyroPlas® incorporates an 'in flight' injection technique where wastes are injected directly into the plasma stream. This unique feature allows PyroPlas® to demonstrate high destruction removal efficiencies (DRE) often greater than 99.999%.
The compact standalone design of PyroPlas® allows for flexibility in siting and opportunities to deliver both onsite and centralised operation. Carefully designed to destroy concentrated hazardous wastes, PyroPlas® incorporates a rapid quench system that negates the formation of undesirable destruction by-products like dioxins and furans.
- Ozone depleting substances
- Methyl Bromide
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
- Bromochlorofluorocarbons (BCFCs)
- Synthetic greenhouse gases
- Sulphur Hexafluoride (SF6)
- Persistent Organic Pollutants
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- Organochlorine Pesticides (OCPs) like Lindane anc Dieldrin
- Per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)
- Aqueous Film Forming Foams (AFFF) - which contain Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
- Chemical Industry
- ideal destruction option for chemical manufacturing industry (i.e. manufacture of pesticides and semiconductors) to destroy process by-products on site safely while maintaining highest environmental standards.
- ideal for the destruction of redundant refrigerants in accordance with international standards.
- Waste Management
- ideal for the destruction of highly hazardous waste streams like PCBs, OCPs and PFAS.
- Site Remediation
- ideal for ex or in situ destruction of organic contaminants like PCBs, OCPs, PFAS and Dioxins
Discreet - Targeted - Qualitative - Permanent
We are excited to announce the availability of our turn-key package system for the management of legacy waste with minimal impact on surrounding activities and the environment. The plant was specifically designed to provide a solution to wastes impacted with per- and polyfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS) but is suitable to treat other Persistent Organic Pollutants (POP) effectively and efficiently
VacuPlas utilises two of our existing technologies combining:
- Vacuum distillation for targeted intensification of PFAS, and
- Plasma arc destruction for qualitative destruction.