QIAamp - Model DNA Mini Kit - Bacterial Or Genomic DNA Purification From Water, Filters, Or Surface Swab
The QIAamp DNA Mini Kit provides silica-membrane-based nucleic acid purification from tissues, swabs, CSF, blood, body fluids, or washed cells from urine. The spin-column procedure does not require mechanical homogenization, so total hands-on preparation time is only 20 minutes. Purification of DNA using the QIAamp DNA Mini Kit can be automated on the QIAcube.
For isolation of genomic, mitochondrial, bacterial, parasite, or viral DNA
- Rapid purification of high-quality, ready-to-use DNA
- Consistent, high yields
- Complete removal of contaminants and inhibitors
- Format: Mini spin columns
- Sample sources: Muscle, liver, heart, brain, bone marrow, and other tissues; swabs (buccal, eye, nasal, pharyngeal, and others), CSF, blood, body fluids, washed cells from urine
- Sample size: Up to 25 mg tissue or up to 200 µl fluid
- Hands-on preparation time (after lysis): 20 minutes
- Typical yield: 'Yields with the QIAamp DNA Mini Kit'
- Elution volume: 50–200 µl
The QIAamp DNA Mini Kit is ideal for purification of DNA from most commonly used human tissue samples, such as muscle, liver, heart, and brain.
The QIAamp DNA Mini Kit simplifies isolation of DNA from human tissue samples with fast spin-column or vacuum procedures. No phenol–chloroform extraction is required. DNA binds specifically to the QIAamp silica-gel membrane while contaminants pass through. PCR inhibitors such as divalent cations and proteins are completely removed in two efficient wash steps, leaving pure DNA to be eluted in either water or a buffer provided with the kit. QIAamp DNA technology yields genomic, mitochondrial, bacterial, parasite, or viral DNA from human tissue samples ready to use in PCR and blotting procedures.
No mechanical homogenization is necessary as the tissues are lysed enzymatically, and the convenient spin-column procedure means that hands-on preparation time is only 20 minutes. Samples can be processed using either a microcentrifuge or, if blood or other body fluids are being processed, using the QIAvac 24 Plus or QIAvac 6S vacuum manifold. In addition, the rigorous lysis procedure employed makes the QIAamp DNA Mini Kit ideal for purification of genomic DNA from bacteria or parasites.
Table 'Yields with the QIAamp DNA Mini Kit' shows typical DNA yields obtained from various tissue-sample types using the QIAamp DNA Mini Kit. QIAamp sample preparation technology is fully licensed, allowing QIAamp purified nucleic acids to be used in any molecular assay or other downstream application without risk of patent infringement.
Optimized buffers and enzymes lyse samples, stabilize nucleic acids, and enhance selective DNA adsorption to the QIAamp membrane. Alcohol is added and lysates loaded onto the QIAamp spin column. Wash buffers are used to remove impurities and pure, ready-to-use DNA is then eluted in water or low-salt buffer. The entire process requires only 20 minutes of handling time (lysis times differ according to the sample source).
Blood or other body fluids can be processed by vacuum instead of centrifugation, for greater speed and convenience in DNA purification. QIAamp Mini spin columns are accommodated on the QIAvac 24 Plus manifold using VacValves and VacConnectors. VacValves should be used if sample flow rates differ significantly, in order to ensure consistent vacuum. Disposable VacConnectors are used to avoid any cross-contamination. Use of VacConnectors also allows these QIAamp spin procedures to be performed on QIAvac 6S with QIAvac Luer Adapters.
DNA purified using the QIAamp DNA Mini Kit is sized up to 50 kb. DNA of this length denatures completely and has the highest amplification efficiency. QIAamp Kits are intended for use in a number of applications, including:
- Viral research
- Bacterial research
- Fungal research
- Cancer research
- Human genetic testing research
- Paternity testing
- Forensic analysis
- Applications : PCR, Southern blotting
- Elution volume : 50–200 µl
- Format : Spin column
- Main sample type : Whole blood, tissue, cells
- Processing : Manual (centrifugation or vacuum)
- Purification of total RNA, miRNA, poly A+ mRNA, DNA or protein : Genomic DNA, mitochondrial DNA, bacterial DNA, parasite DNA, viral DNA
- Sample amount : 200 µl/25 mg/5 x 10e6
- Technology : Silica technology
- Time per run or per prep : 20 minutes
- Yield : 4–30 µg