SIKA-R...AS Metal Membranes
SIKA-R...AS is a high porous ASymmetrically designed metallic membrane. The thin layer giving the filter its performance is coated on a coarser SIKA-R support structure. Metal membranes can be manufactured to all dimensions from SIKA-R...AX and SIKA-R...IS. The membrane's two functions, strength and particle retention, are separated from each other – leading to a new type of filter. The coarser support material renders the mechanical stability without increasing the pressure drop of the filter system considerably. This filter-active membrane was developed as a surface filter and allows pore sizes from 0.1 µm to 3 µm. The thin coating is connected to the support structure by sintering.
SIKA-R...AS qualities differ from the known properties of SIKA-R materials in the following points:
- Up to 4 times higher flow rate
- Surface filter
- Improved back flushing performance
- Longer service life in the process
As a general rule, the chemical and thermal characteristics of sinter metals are the same as
those of the solid materials used.. However, the size of the specific surface area should be taken
into account when assessing the chemical properties of any high-porosity component (sinter metal).
SIKA-R...AX is manufactured from the following materials:
- Stainless steels 1.4404 (AISI 316 L / B), 1.4306 (AISI 304 L), 1.4539
- Inconel 600 / 625
- Hastelloy C 22, C 276 and X
- Special materials
SIKA-R...AS is employed in:
- Gas- and Liquid filtration
- Refinery applications
- Separation of fine catalyst particles
- Crossflow filtration
- Fine filtration of catalyst particles
- Monomer filtration
as well as in other fields of chemical and food processing industries, power engineering and environmental technology.
Across industries, GKN porous sintered metal filters are ideal for a variety of filtration and separation applications. From chemical processing to water treatment, these specially designed filters can outperform traditional filter media and reduce total manufacturing costs. Most industrial operations and scientific processes require the separation of solid particles from liquid or gas. These particles may be the desired end product or considered waste. In either case, filtration occurs when fluid or gas passes through a porous material or medium, while larger particles are held back. A filter's effectiveness depends upon how efficiently it separates particles of a particular size, and how the flow rate of the transmitted fluid varies over time (cleanability during operation by back flushing).
Porous metal filters generally are made from bronze, stainless steel, nickel-based alloys and titanium, using different powder metallurgical techniques.
Porous sintered metal filter offer the following benefits:
- stable, self-carrying structures, even at high pressures;
- good mechanical strength under permanent loads, under impact loading, or under pressure peaks;
- high-temperature strength and thermal shock resistance;
- chemical stability against acids and (alkaline) detergents;
- a wide spectrum of precisely defined pore size distributions (filter grades ranging from 0.1 to 200 µm for metallic powders and from 3 to 100 µm for sintered metal fiber felt); and
- able to handle reverse flow, super-saturated hot steam, chemical agents, or high temperatures for cleansing and rinsing.
GKN Sinter Metals offers the chemical processing industry porous metal-based filters and components for a various applications, all designed to ensure world-class process and the highest quality end products, at a competitive price. In polymer manufacturing and for the production of viscose rayon, our sintered metal productswork harder, perform better, and operate longer than other marketplace options.
Polymers, or synthetic resins, fibers and elastomers, are manufactured through the processing of intermediate chemicals such as ethylene, propylene, butadiene, benzene and paraxylene. Using GKN porous metal structures in the polymer manufacturing process provides you optimum performance while maintaining cost efficiencies.
GKN's porous metal filters are used in as:
- Monomerfilter (SIKA-R...IS /...AS)
- Prepolymerfilter (SIKA-FIL)
- Polymerfilter (SIKA-FIL)
- Spinnerette Filter (SIKA-R...AX / B)
- Air quenching (SIKA-R...IS / B)
- Air flotation bearing for films (SIKA-R...IS
GKN's porous metal filter provide
- high mechanical strength with ductility
- good corrosion resistance;
- high-performance filtration;
- well-defined porosity;
- controllable permeability from low to very high fluxes.