SRS - Model SD - Slow Release Substrate
SRS™ - Slow Release Substrate is a patented engineered product for the reductive dechlorination of chlorinated solvents (e.g., PCE, TCE, cis-DCE, TCA, and 1,2 DCA) or any anaerobically degradable substance (perchlorate, TNT, RDX, etc.). The substrate package is a low viscosity liquid that contains a combination of slow and fast release electron donors and required nutrients. SRS™ is a vegetable oil based substrate package that is used by naturally occurring microorganisms as an energy and carbon source to reductively dechlorinate solvents.
- Promotes biodegradation of PCE and TCE to non-toxic end products
- Small droplet size is ideal for maximum radius of influence in the formation
- Low cost
- In situ vs. Ex situ application minimizes site disruptions
- Slow release formula eliminates continuous substrate additions
- SRS™ contains only non-toxic food grade materials, which results in green, sustainable remediation
- Can be used as a PRB to cuts off plume migration
- Effective in source zones
- Reduces treatment time from decades to months and years
As a result of its low viscosity, small droplet size and longevity, SRS™ is an ideal substrate for injection using direct-push technology. The low viscosity allows a greater volume of SRS™ to be applied in a shorter period of time and increases the substrate delivery radius per point. This results in fewer direct push delivery points and overall shorter delivery time requirements per site.
Terra Systems, Inc. has applied this technology at military bases, dry cleaners and manufacturing sites throughout the USA and in Brazil and Japan. Some of the sites where the technology has been demonstrated include the Dover Air Force Base (AFB) in Delaware, Columbus AFB in Mississippi, Camp Bullis in Texas, Altus AFB in Oklahoma, Arnold AFB in Tennessee, Edwards AFB in California, Photocircuits in NY, SABRE in England and Microtronics in New Jersey.