Wildlife - Model SM4 - Acoustics Song Meter
From Bird Recorders
The Wildlife Acoustics Song Meter SM4 is the proven industry standard wildlife audio recording equipment, specially engineered to deliver quality sound recordings of birds, frogs, and other vocal animals in the wild. With the ability to store terabytes of data and record birds and wildlife in the field for months at a time, the Song Meter SM4 gives scientists a flexible tool for conducting species inventory, presence/absence surveys, endangered species detection and habitat health monitoring.
MAXIMIZE DETECTION AND FIDELITY.
The SM4 features two second-generation built-in microphones that create higher quality recordings of birds and vocalizing animals than previous generations of Song Meter microphones. The low-noise microphones have a superior signal-to-noise ratio so you capture more wildlife sounds that matter to you.
TWO CHANNELS FOR MORE RECORDING FLEXIBILITY.
Take advantage of the SM4’s dual-channel feature to ensure that recording continues – even after one microphone is disabled by wildlife-incurred damage. Record in stereo or mono using the built-in microphones, or connect one or two cabled microphones or hydrophones. Adding additional runs of cable to the external microphone gives you the ability to capture audio from far-off wildlife such as birds in the forest canopy or frogs at a nearby pond.
CHOOSE A SCHEDULE OR CREATE YOUR OWN.
To get you started quickly, the SM4 features easy-to-use Quick Start schedules, such as sunrise to sunset. You can also customize your schedules for specific wildlife sound recording needs. The free SM4 Configurator software can be used to configure settings and schedules from a computer. The SM4 Configurator software also provides a Security Lock option to prevent accidental changes to deployment and recording settings.
CAPTURE TERABYTES OF DATA.
The SM4 has two SD card slots that accept SDHC and SDXC cards. When fitted with two 1TB cards, the SM4 can store up to two terabytes of data.
In addition, you can save card space by using W4V Compression. The format doubles the capacity of your SD cards with no noticeable degradation of recording quality. The resulting W4V files can be opened with and/or converted to uncompressed WAV files using the free version of Kaleidoscope software.
- Industry-standard line of birds, frogs, and other vocal wildlife audio recorders, with over 20,000 SM4 family recorders sold to date
- Proven and reliable, with only 0.64% of recorders requiring in-warranty repairs
- 3-year warranty
- Weatherproof design suitable for any environment
- Compact, at 8.6” x 7.3” x 3.1” (218 mm x 186 mm x 78 mm)
- Built-in fail-safe and fault-tolerant technology, including two flash cards for failover and extensive internal diagnostics
- Two built-in, low-noise microphones allow for quality, stereo animal recordings
- Flexible gain settings and high-pass filters for optimal performance in different recording environments
- Record 510 hours scheduled over months using four D cell batteries, 305 hours using NiMH batteries or even longer using external power.
- Choose a quick-start schedule or easily create your own
- Strong anti-alias filters improve signal-to-noise ratios
- Capable of storing terabytes of data to two SDHC/SDXC flash cards
- Optional cabled microphones and hydrophones
- GPS attachment allows you to set date, time and location for multiple recorders
- Save card space via W4V compression, doubling the capacity of SD cards without degrading recording quality
- Compatible with Kaleidoscope Pro software to quickly scan recordings to help find species of interest