Air Quality & Clean Air Act Compliance Services
ESS assists industrial clients with air permitting, air quality and emissions assessments, control technology assessments, and interpretation of complex air quality regulations using a wealth of project engineering and regulatory experience. We work with clients to develop permitting and compliance strategies that minimize regulatory burdens, maximize operating flexibility, and facilitate business goals. ESS develops the best permitting strategy to achieve these goals, while streamlining the permitting process to facilitate timely review and approval.
Air Quality Permitting
ESS air quality consultants and engineers have more than 80 years of combined experience in air quality permitting for facilities ranging from 1100 MW power plants to supplemental diesel generators. They are familiar with the emissions characteristics and control technologies associated with many manufacturing processes including those for textiles, paint, baked goods, soaps, asphalt, and film. ESS also maintains excellent working relationships with senior air regulators in state agencies and Environmental Protection Agency. We have recognized air quality experts on staff who are routinely invited by agencies to participate in regulatory workgroups. ESS works with our clients to prepare applications for:
- New Source Review (NSR) and PSD Permits
- Minor Source Air Permits and Permit Modifications
- Title V Operating Permits
- Facility Modification and Expansion Strategies
Air Emission Inventories & Dispersion Modeling
ESS air quality consultants and meteorologists are experts at developing and analyzing technical ambient air quality, air emissions data, and the atmosphere. We use our wealth of project experience to acquire emissions information where established emissions factors may not exist and can assist clients with assessments that include:
- Emission Reduction Credit (ERC) Banking and Trading Support
- 112(R) Clean Air Act Risk Management Plans
- Emission Inventory Development and Database Services
- Emissions Testing Program Development and Management
- Indoor Air Quality Surveys and Workplace Exposure Studies
- Greenhouse Gas Inventories and Management Strategies
- Regulatory Strategy and Permit Negotiations
- Meteorological Data Collection and Analysis
We also bring extensive experience in dispersion modeling to address air toxics limitations, federal Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) requirements, and plume behavior impact studies related to fogging, icing, shadowing, and mineral deposition.
Selecting the Proper Air Quality Control Technologies
The ESS air quality staff is expert in conducting emissions control technology analyses (RACT, BACT, MACT, or LAER) and has first-hand experience in both traditional and advanced technology control systems.