From Health & Safety
Companies have a legal responsibility to manage the risks from asbestos and ensure they don’t impact on their staff, customers or the public.
Asbestos Awareness - What do businesses need to know?
Employers are required to take reasonable steps to:
- Asbestos testing - find out if there are materials containing asbestos in the buildings under your control and presume materials contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence that they do not;
- make, and keep up-to-date records of the location and condition of the asbestos containing materials - or materials which are presumed to contain asbestos;
- Asbestos risk assessment - assess the risk of anyone being exposed to fibres from the materials identified;
- prepare an asbestos management plan that sets out in detail how the risks from these materials will be managed;
- take the necessary steps to put the plan into action;
- periodically review and monitor the plan and the arrangements to act on it so that the plan remains relevant and up-to-date; and
- provide information on the location and condition of the materials to anyone who is liable to work on or disturb them – for example contractors refurbishing offices.
Staff and Contractors need to co-operate with the duty holder - the person or organisation that has clear responsibility for the maintenance or repair of non-domestic premises - so that the duty holder can to comply with these requirements. EDP helps companies understand Asbestos regulations and where responsibility for the duty holder sits.
The duty to manage covers all non-domestic premises. This includes all industrial, commercial or public buildings such as factories, warehouses, offices, shops, hospitals and schools.
Non-domestic premises also include those 'common' areas of purpose-built flats or houses converted into flats.
How can EDP support you?
There are three essential steps to managing asbestos:
- find out whether the premises contains asbestos, and, if so, where it is and what condition it is in. If in doubt, materials must be presumed to contain asbestos;
- undertake an assessment of the risk that asbestos or materials to contain asbestos poses;
- develop and implement a plan to manage that risk and act on it.
EDP works with businesses and organisations of any size to develop Asbestos Management plans, source surveys and inspections and manage on site contractors and facilities.
We can assist you in understanding your responsibilities, develop a strategic plan for managing asbestos in your business, and help you execute the plan so that you have peace of mind whilst protecting your business, its reputation, your customers, your people and the public.