Asbestos Testing, Control and Removal
Qualifying premises: The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 covers all non-domestic premises. Certain areas of domestic premises may also qualify. Shared foyers, corridors, staircases, roof spaces, gardens, yards, outhouses and garages. Such common areas would not include rooms within a private residence that are shared by more than one household such as bathrooms, kitchens etc in shared houses and communal dining rooms and lounges in sheltered accommodation.
Usually the person or organisation that has clear responsibility for the maintenance or repair of the non-domestic and/or shared domestic premises.
The duty to manage asbestos
Directed at those who manage non-domestic premises the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 requires the person who has the duty to:
- Take reasonable steps to find out if there are materials containing asbestos in non-domestic premises, and if so, its amount, where it is and what condition it is in
- Presume materials contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence that they do not
- Make, and keep up-to-date, a record of the location and condition of the asbestos containing materials - or materials which are presumed to contain asbestos
- Assess the risk of anyone being exposed to fibres from the materials identified
- Prepare a plan that sets out in detail how the risks from these materials will be managed
- Take the necessary steps to put the plan into action
- Periodically review and monitor the plan and the arrangements to act on it so that the plan remains relevant and up-to-date
- Provide information on the location and condition of the materials to anyone who is liable to work on or disturb them
There is a requirement for any non-dutyholders to co-operate as far as is necessary to allow the dutyholder to comply with the above.
WHS Group Services
The WHS Group offers a range of services to help you remain compliant with the strict legislation and activities set out within the 2006 regulations
- Asbestos surveys
- Air monitoring & four stage clearance testing
- Asbestos management plans
- Asbestos project management
- Asbestos re-inspectons