Bioprotect - Screening, Fish & Jellyfish
We understand that the use of seawater needs the protection of the environment and ecosystems. Therefore we work together with expert partners in respect to seawater intake screening system and fish and mammal deflection and return systems.
A continuous supply of seawater to an industrial facility (e.g. power and/or water producer, refinery, petrochemical plant, etc.) is critical to guarantee its full production potential. An unexpectedly high volume of biological material (e,g, jellyfish, fish, seaweed) can put production at risk by overwhelming the seawater intake screening system, resulting in a complete blockage and a trip of the plant.
To prevent this risk, H2O BFS shas developed a specialist service called Bioprotect, in which we combine early warning and deterrent systems with optimisation of screening design/operation to reduce the risk of an unscheduled stoppage. Working with a unique team of experts in the field of screening, marine ecology and seawater intake systems, we provide dedicated solutions to prevent the risk of an unplanned shutdown due to ingress of high volumes of biological material.
The Bioprotect service is effective to guard against risks arising from:
- Schooling fish
- Jellyfish blooms
- Marine mammals
- Marine turtles
- Seaweed and Seagrass
- Root cause analysis of failures or problems with your the intake, screening, or debris handling systems.
- Identification and ecological profiling of risk species.
- Review of the intake system screening, debris handling, stopgates and controls, providing short and long termmaintenance planning solutions.
- Providing advice on Best Available Techniques (BAT) for the design of your specific seawater intake system.
- Developing an Emergency Response Plan that addresses these issues.
- Intake operation and maintenance planning at 5, 10, 15- and 20-year milestones.
For plants in planning or construction stage:
- Definition of best practice for intake operations as the plant transitions from construction to commissioning and into its full operational phase, including effective biofouling and corrosion protection.
- Pre or post construction, independent review of the intake system’s design system, covering biofouling control, screening and debris handling, long term maintenance and OPEX analysis