Building & LEED Commissioning Services
Although engineering and architectural construction inspections verify that the systems and materials specified in building plans are installed as specified, building commissioning ensures that these systems operate as intended and that operation staff can operate a building for years to come. The LEED system has made building commissioning a mandatory requirement for certification. Furthermore, an additional LEED credit can be earned by performing extended commissioning.
Building commissioning is most successful when conducted by an agency that is independent of the design team and when the commissioning is conducted in accordance with ASHRAE Guideline 1 – Guideline for Commissioning of HVAC Systems. Basic building commissioning consists of five tasks:
- summarize the design intent for the building and review the suitability of the concept design in meeting the design intent.
- develop a commissioning plan and specifications that describe the commissioning activities and reporting requirements.
- co-ordinate, witness and verify start-up and functional testing of building systems as required in the commissioning plan.
- oversee on-site training for facility staff to ensure that they become familiar with all aspects of the systems and equipment.
- prepare commissioning report containing operation and maintenance manuals, results of testing and equipment warranties.
Additional commissioning tasks include peer review of the design and commissioning activities after building hand-over to the client. This work must be done by a firm independent of the design and construction team. The additional services include:
- peer review of the concept design to assess whether the concept design will meet the design intent and the proposed LEED credits (if LEED credits are being pursued).
- peer review of the construction documents prior to issuance for tender.
- review contractor submittals and review alternates on systems that are being commissioned
verify system performance over the first year of operation.
- develop a re-commissioning manual that describes requirements for on-going system testing .
Enermodal provides basic and additional commissioning services that meet all the requirements of ASHRAE Guideline 1 and the LEED Green Building Rating System. We have particular experience in commissioning innovative systems often found in green buildings. Our services also include envelope air tightness and indoor air quality testing and detailed building performance monitoring.