Data Capture Services
Over the past 20 years CDR Group has developed a comprehensive range of services in response to market requirements. The scope of our services ensures that all your data capture needs can be met, regardless of which GIS you use, or the quality and quantity of your original data.We operate a comprehensive Quality Management System and are accredited to BS EN ISO9001:2000 for data capture and validation services - this guarantees the consistency of all deliverables.Whether your GIS is at the early stages of development / implementation, or is a well established tool within your organisation, we can help you to ensure that you get maximum return from your investment.
- Heads-down digitising from paper, linen, acetate, microfiche, microfilm
- Heads-up digitising from scanned images, pdf files, documents, aerial photographs, satellite imagery
- Large format scanning including cropping, de-skewing and registering / georeferencing (click here for more details)
- Data re-processing to correct for the effects of the Ordnance Survey's Positional Accuracy Improvement Programme (PAI)
- Provision of GIS operatives to work on site
- Data conversion from GIS/CAD format to GIS/CAD format, or from database/document/spreadsheet to GIS/CAD format
- Data clean-up and validation
- Tailored data capture training
- Plotting in black and white or colour, in sizes up to A0
Our data capture experience ranges from the relatively simple digitising of point data such as street lights or target notes, to the development of complex and structured databases using stringent validation rules and inference techniques. Data is captured from a wide range of sources including paper, linen or acetate plans drawing and maps, paper documents, record cards, microfiche / microfilm, spreadsheets, databases, pdf documents, surveyors' plans, legal agreements, deed packets, aerial photographs, satellite imagery, hydrographic sounding etc etc.
Prior to embarking on a data capture project it is may be cost-effective to undertake a data audit or data clean-up exercise. This typically involves ascertaining:
- The amount of data to be captured
- The topographic integrity of the data to be captured
- The quality of the data to be captured
- The variety and compatibility of data sources
- How data is to be batched and controlled
- The Data Rules to be applied to the interpretation of the data
We undertake these activities on behalf of clients as part of our consultancy service. We also lend the benefit of our experience to advise on the best method of data capture for a given project.
If you have small volumes of data capture that you wish to capture yourself, we can provide tailored training to help ensure efficient use of your resources and the accurate capture of your data
Examples of the types of data that CDR works with include: Terrier and other Land Ownership records, Planning Applications, Building Control files,, Local Development Framework data, Conservation Areas, World Heritage Sites, Tree Preservation Orders, SSSIs, AONBs, NNRs, Ramsar Sites, Wildlife Habitats, Marine biotopes, Grounds Maintenance data, Historical Land usage, Boreholes, Mineshafts, Contaminated Land (inc sources, receptors and pathways), Street Furniture, Street Lighting, Utility networks, Bus Routes, Journey to school routes, School Catchment Areas, Hydrogrpahic data, Viewsheds and many more.
Sophisticated techniques to ensure data integrity and data quality are central to all our work. Automated and semi-automated routines ensure the elimination of:
- Duplicate nodes
- Spurs and dongles
- Knots and bow-ties
- Invalid overlaps and slivers
- Missing data attributes
- Invalid or inconsistent data attributes
Data produced by CDR Group can be delivered in a wide range of GIS or CAD formats on external hard drive, DVD or CD, or by e-mail or ftp, or as maps, drawings, graphs or charts.