Would You Throw Out a Filing Cabinet Full of Private Documents? While “Delete” can remove a file from sight and allow it to be written over, it does not destroy the data. Surplus and end-of-life computers should not be seen as scrap metal and plastic, but as libraries of your information. If a system is handled improperly, any remaining data is vulnerable and could easily fall into the wrong hands. The electronics may become obsolete, but the information they store never outlives its usefulness. Creative Recycling not only provides asset management services, we also clear any remaining information left or shred the equipment to insure our clients’ information is destroyed.
With the advent of such privacy laws as The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Sarbanes-Oxley, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Gramm-Leach Bliley (GLBA), many corporations can’t afford to rely on a simple “Delete” to remove sensitive information. Heavy fines are possible if as little as one piece of data is compromised.
Creative Recycling Systems’ data security program is modeled after the best data security practices available today. Our process is continually refined as new tools and techniques become available to ensure the continuity of the program. Creative Recycling Systems can meet any predetermined counter data remanence method or we can recommend a solution based on your needs and/or risk assessment.
Creative Recycling Systems’ de minimis standard with regards to media containing data meets the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Special Publication 800-88: Table 5-1. Sanitization Methods, Method: “Clear”. This ensures all media without client requirements of a specific counter data remanence method will be sanitized.
For those requiring a higher level of security, Creative Recycling Systems’ enhanced data security standard is a process in which the material is segregated and processed within a secured area limiting access explicitly to the data security technician performing the sanitization of media. The data security manager will sample the sanitized media after completion to ensure the methods success. This secured area is under surveillance at all times and archive video is maintained for 6 months. During this process we maintain auditable material tracking inventories performed at every step. After completion of the sanitization, a sanitization log inventory providing a list of all media processed as well as the sanitized media verification inventory and certificate of media sanitization are compiled affirming the method and outcome.
CRS’ Data Security Processes Include
- Detailed labeling and tracking of loads from the time of pick-up throughout the entire recycling process
- Removing the asset and customer identification tags from each item
- Performing sanitization of media to clear all data
- Degaussing all hard drives, floppy disks, magnetic tape, and other media
- Video monitoring of drives and other media throughout the shredding process
- Data destruction on optical media
- Providing a Certificate of Destruction, Certificate of Media Sanitization and Certificate of Media Destruction
- On site media sanitization
Our Secured Facilities
- Our offices and warehouses are monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week by a professional security agency as well as an extensive system of surveillance cameras.
- There are active intrusion detection systems on all buildings.
- Our in-house environmental, health and safety team ensures compliance with all local, state and federal regulations, and we also regularly employ outside consultants to guarantee that we are upholding the highest standards.
- We control access to secure areas in which sensitive hardware can be held under extra protection until the media containing data is sanitized.
- A strict triage and inventory control process allows us to track our customer’s assets from the time of pick up through their eventual final disposition.
- Every company requires a unique solution for asset recovery, and CRS provides the consulting and support services necessary to provide that solution in the most secure manner possible.