Planning Your Bird Netting Installation Services
From Bird Netting Systems
To be effective, a bird netting installation must be well planned and properly installed. The following guidelines provide a basic outline designed to help you plan for a bird netting installation. Each installation is different and some steps may not apply to your application.
- Identify ALL the places birds land, roost and nest. Identify the bird species.
- Find ALL the entry and exit routes birds use to get into and out of the area. You must find all of them or birds may be able to get behind the installed bird netting.
Where to Install the Net
- The netting should either enclose the problem area or block off all the routes that birds use to gain access to the area. For the example shown, netting is needed at both open ends as well as under the roof.
- Plan the path of the netting carefully. Keep the netting away from conditions that could damage it such as moving objects, high heat, equipment, etc.
- Some objects and surfaces require periodic maintenance or attention. You can change the netting path to exclude these areas, or enclose them and use the Net Zipper to gain access after the netting is installed.
- Accurately measure where the bird netting will be installed. If the path of the planned installation changes elevation (up or down), make sure to account for this in your measurements.
- Do not base netting estimates on ‘square footage’. This is seldom accurate as it does not allow for any vertical (up or down) changes in the netting path.
- Accurately measure and record the location of any beams, pipes, joists or any other objects that could serve as additional support for the bird netting.
- Some small problem areas may end up outside the netting enclosure. For these surfaces, use the Nixalite Stainless Steel Bird Control Strips.
PollyNet Lightweight: Ultra-light construction. Use for installations where low visibility andeconomy are more important than longevity. 3/4x5/8” mesh. Low cost.
PollyNet Premium: Tough, seamless construction. Used for all bird netting applications. 1/2' square mesh stops large and small birds. Economical netting, Resists UV.
K-Net HT: Heavy-duty knotted, multi-strand bird net. Used for all bird netting applications. Ideal for long term use in harsh environments. 3/4” mesh stops most birds.
- Review your installation measurements. From the Netting Coverage Tables below, select the netting sizes or combination of sizes that will provide the needed coverage.
- ALWAYS allow extra netting. The Netting Coverage Table lists the best coverage from each netting piece while still allowing for perimeter and seam fastening.
Netting Coverage Tables - Use listed Coverage size when estimating for the amount of bird netting required.