Sustainable Design Services
At Hart Crowser, we recognize our responsibility and role in promoting environmental stewardship and protecting the health and safety of our employees and communities where we operate. We believe proper use and management of earth’s resources are the responsibility of industry and individuals alike.
On a business level, Hart Crowser is committed to reducing the impact of our professional services by:
- Supporting our Sustainability Committee, which assesses the effectiveness of current programs and helps shape future programs
- Using 100 percent recycled paper, double-sided printing, using recyclable materials, and providing electronic deliverables when appropriate.
- Using non-disposable dishes for meetings and presentations
- Providing separate waste containers for recycling, food waste, garbage, and batteries
- Providing incentives for alternative transportation (such as participating in Bike to Work Month)
- Reducing direct energy consumption by incorporating motion sensors for office lighting, turning off non-essential electronic equipment while not in use, and allowing staff to periodically work from home to reduce our overall carbon footprint.
- Providing ongoing awareness training to our staff through “green tips” e mails.
Our project management philosophy emphasizes low-impact methods, resource conservation, recycling, waste minimization, and the use of energy efficient and ecologically responsible materials and techniques. Representative examples include:
- Using environmental sampling strategies that improve the efficiency of site characterization, reduce the number of field vehicle mobilizations and sample shipments, and reduce the quantity of investigation-derived waste that need to be packaged and shipped.
- Using on-site treatment methods such as bioremediation for soil and groundwater to destroy contaminants rather than shipping contaminated media for disposal and replacing it with clean fill material.
- Reusing materials wherever feasible such as reusing bricks from a building demolition for landfill road building.
- Using energy- and water-saving measures, such as recirculating groundwater treatment systems and on-site stormwater infiltration, which limits the need for external potable water supplies and minimizes the disposal and transport of wastes.
- Using renewable and cleaner energy sources by using solar and wind-powered equipment for monitoring, remediation, and vapor emission control systems.