Battery Design Studio
Battery Design Studio® is a unique tool that allows engineers to design battery cells, simulate performance, and analyse data from both simulation and test work. Battery Design Studio®, originally created by Battery Design Llc, has been evolving over the 15 years it has been available and it is now part of the CD-adapco stable of products. Combining CD-adapco's ever popular dedicated support model with this leading software in electrochemistry modelling allows even the most occasional analysis user to add value and understanding to a project.
Battery Design Studio can be applied to all cell form factors (pouch, cylindrical & prismatic wound) and will consider all aspects of the design to initially compute volume, weight, and power densities of designs. The comprehensive user interface walks the user through the setup up of their cell including electrode design, chemistry formulation, tabbing strategy, and external packaging to arrive at a complete cell model.
Once a cell is created this can be used to simulate performance over a given test cycle, confirming the models operation, or an appropriate drive or duty cycle enabling the limiting factors of the cell to be understood. These can be identified from simulation output highlighting the evolution of internal quantities, such as lithium concentration, across the electrode pairs within the cell. Such understanding provides insight into how a cell could be improved and a cost/benefit analysis conducted to understand if this is 'good' solution. Uniquely, this cell model can be imported in to STAR-CCM+ using the Battery Simulation Module to enable a detailed flow, thermal and electrochemistry analysis of a battery pack using this cell model to be computed. For further information go to the STAR-CCM+ 'add-ons' page.
Battery Design Studio can also be used as a neutral environment to compare battery cell test work from various cycler manufacturers. The software contains converters for all popular cyclers, allowing data to be presented in a regular format showing all data. This also enables simulation data to be presented against cycler data and the software contains many specific tools aimed at battery analysis, e.g. Voltage vs. DOD/SOC.
Use the links on the right hand sde of this page to explore the details of Battery Design Studio and view some of the example cases. Below lists just some of the uses of Battery Design Studio:
- Compute important attributes of a new cell designs, such as nominal capacity, open circuit voltage or total mass, using the electrode dimensions and electrochemistry parameters
- Understand the sensitivity of a defined cell to the manufacturing variability of underlying parameters, e.g. variable electrode porosity or active particle size
- Simulate the electrochemical response of a cell to a given load, whether power or current, and optimise a design to reduce the total mass or improve the capacity of the cell
- Understand and visualise the underlying phenomena that limit the rate capability or capacity of a cell design, which may be a limitation of the active material, electrolyte or current path
- Create equivalent circuit models, which capture the response to load of a tested cell, by reading in test data and automatically regressing parameters to populate the circuit model
- Finally, complete a cell design which can then be passed to STAR-CCM+ to represent the cell in a detailed three-dimensional model. It can also be multiplied to create a module or pack