BlockRanger - Version 1.2 - All-Hexahedral, Mapped Grid Generation Software for Engineers
BlockRanger is a fully interactive, volume mesh generation plug-in for the Rhinoceros 5.0 or 6.0 3D CAD system. BlockRanger converts Rhino 5 or 6 solids into blocks of high-quality hexahedral (brick) elements for use with most engineering analysis packages that require hexahedral meshing and a strict control of element quality, spatial distribution, and orientation. BlockRanger is included with the purchase of a Griddle license at no extra cost.
- BlockRanger is a general-purpose interactive all-hexahedral mesh generator for computer-aided engineering. Its meshing applications range from fluids and structures to biomedicine and geosciences.
- BlockRanger is surprisingly easy to learn and to use. If you know Rhino, you already know how to use BlockRanger!
- BlockRanger is a plug-in to Rhino 5 or 6. Building meshes is as easy as selecting an assembly of contiguous 4-, 5-, or 6-sided solids and clicking on the BlockRanger icon.
BlockRanger leverages and extends the power of Rhinoceros 5.0 or 6.0, 3D CAD software from Robert McNeel & Associates. Rhino can create, edit, analyze, document, render, animate, and translate NURBS* curves, surfaces, and solids, point clouds, and polygon meshes. There are no limits on complexity, degree, or size beyond those of your hardware. Rhino is sold separately, but can be purchased from Itasca at a discount when combined with FLAC, FLAC3D, UDEC, 3DEC, or PFC.
Rhino 5.0 features:
- Powerful, accurate, and free-form
- Includes standard drafting tools and advanced Boolean, lofting, draping, extrusion, sweep, rail, revolve, transformation, and analysis tools
- Compatible with most design, drafting, CAM, engineering, analysis, rendering, animation, and illustration software
- Customize, parameterize, and automate Rhino and BlockRanger using powerful Visual Basic or Python scripting
- Affordable, requiring standard hardware, short learning curve, low purchase price with no maintenance fees
For example, easily create models as Rhino surfaces using objects, planes, and extruded curves.
BlockRanger 1.2, included free with Griddle, is a fully interactive, volume mesh generation plug-in for Rhinoceros 5.0. BlockRanger automatically fills Rhino solids with high-quality, mapped, all-hexahedral (brick) elements for use with FLAC3D, 3DEC, and many other engineering analysis packages that require hexahedral meshing and a strict control of element quality, spatial distribution, and orientation. BlockRanger is also sold separately.
Mapped, Structured, Conformal, Hexahedral Meshes
BlockRanger maps structured hexahedral meshes into simple solids: Build an assembly of 4-sided (tetrahedron), 5-sided (prism), or 6-sided (hexahedron) solids with matching corners, edges and faces, and BlockRanger converts them into hexahedral mesh blocks.
Trivial User Interface
BlockRanger needs only parameters (computed by default) - maximum element edge length, minimum block resolution, and target number of elements for best aspect ratio - in order to create a complete mesh.
This new minor version of BlockRanger replaces KUBRIX BlockRanger and is available to current KUBRIX BlockRanger 1.1 owners for free. Please contact Software Sales for more information.
- Face groups are now part of the output mesh. Face groups consist of a list of element faces that fall on a boundary separating two different Rhino layers. These faces can be easily used in FLAC3D to assign discontinuities (i.e., interfaces) between solid elements. These faces are output as a unique joint identifier in 3DEC output.
- BlockRanger v1.1 output tetrahedral blocks when 3DEC output was requested. BlockRanger v1.2 outputs hexahedral blocks to 3DEC.