gFLARE - For Advanced Process Safety Analysis
Industry-leading depressurisation and dynamic flare system analysis software. PSE is the recognised industry-leading provider of high accuracy analysis for blowdown, pressure relief and flare system design. Our proprietary gFLARE® modelling software is at the heart of our expert analysis service. It enables a significantly more accurate quantification of risk than conventional engineering screening methodologies.
gFLARE provides a single fully integrated technical solution for modelling scenarios such as…
- Process equipment and piping during depressurisation ('blowdown') and pressurisation
- Process equipment and piping during pressure relief scenarios (such as blocked outlets)
- Transient flare system behaviour
- Fire attack and time to rupture
gFLARE is compliant with the latest edition of the industry standard API 521 guidelines for pressure relief and depressuring systems and has been extensively validated against pilot and full facility data.
Some of the key challenges facing flare system designers are:
- understanding where and to what extent low temperatures will occur in flare and other piping systems in order to minimise the need for high-cost alloy materials
- eliminating flare system overdesign resulting from the use of unrepresentative peak relief loads
- determining the potential for staggered relief of units in order to reduce peak flare load
- determining the propensity for hydrate and ice formation in wet relief flows
- understanding the extent to which high temperature fluid can propagate within the flare network in order to optimise the number and location of expansion loops.
All of these challenges have to be addressed while ensuring that key system constraints are met at all times.
gFLARE – Key Features
- full steady-state capabilities
- dynamic modelling
- wall temperature modelling
- hydrate and ice formation
- depressuring models
gFLARE uses high-fidelity dynamic flare models to address all these challenges within one comprehensive framework. With gFLARE it is possible to:
- perform all standard steady-state flare design calculations
- use dynamic simulation to determine the effects of flare network holdups ('packing')
- establish the scope for reducing total flare load via staged relief
- combine the flare system and upstream process
- determine where and when hydrate and ice formation may occur
- perform full 2-D and 3-D metal temperature modelling for critical areas of piping and equipment
- calculate directly quantities of operational interest such as remaining flare margin.
- reduce capital cost of new designs
- determine accurate safety limits
- reduce weight for offshore equipment
- determine suitability of existing assets for new service
- determine the capacity of existing systems and their ability to handle additional loads with little or no capital investment
- provide operations advisory information and decision support
- enhance engineering workflow by eliminating unnecessary iteration between software tools
- ensure consistency between process and flare calculations.
gFLARE takes full advantage of PSE's powerful gPROMS modelling and solution engine and includes:
- State-of-the-art API 521-compliant flare system models
- Multiflash® physical properties for accurate predictions of thermodynamic behaviour
- Hydrates and ice formation models
- Equilibrium process vessels for upstream process representation.