METEOKART GIS - System for Wind Statistics and Nocturnal Drainage Flows
From Software Development
METEOKARTGIS is an information system which provides comprehensive modeled meteorological data. The system consists of two modules: Wind field modul, noctural drainage modul. The wind field modul shows wind statistics and dispersion category close to the ground additional to individual base maps. These statistics contain details about the frequency of different dispersion conditions in the lower air layers which are defined by wind direction, wind velocity and atmospheric stability.
he nocturnal drainage modul provides area-wide data regarding to the genesis of nocturnal drainage at autochthonous weather conditions (weak wind intensity, less cloud amount and high heat emission of the earth’s surface at night). With the geographical information system METEOKARTGIS can be represented velocities, volume flow rate and directions of nocturnal drainage flows, the stream area and thickness over ground of nocturnal drainage.
The presentation of data takes place in ArcGIS. This gives the opportunity to represent and work together with own map material, like site plans or topographic maps. The combination of METEOKARTGIS and GIS connects the professional functionality of a geographical information system with modeled meteorological informations.
What are the scopes of METEOKARTGIS?
Meteorological data are required for many specialities. Main fields of application are:
- Air quality management of traffic and industry plants
- Odour, e.g. from livestock farming
- Climate, e.g. for human biometeorological assessments
- Urban regional planning
The immission forecast of substances (air pollutants, odours) with micro and meso-scaled dispersion models requires compulsory a representative wind and dispersion category statistics of the respective investigation area as input. These data are often not available or they derived from stations which are biased for investigation area. METEOKARTGIS provides the wind and dispersion category statistics for models like AUSTAL2000 or LASAT.
In areas with strong terrain slope are often develop of nocturnal drainage flows under autochthonous weather conditions. Depending on the topographical characteristic of the whole nocturnal drainage area and the local land use the results are partly complex systems of nocturnal drainage flows which are considered at the assessment, e.g. of air pollutants.
In addition to wind and dispersion category statistics also paths of air pollutants under conditions of nocturnal drainage can be visualized with METEOKARTGIS by a trajectory analysis.
Nocturnal drainage flows can be effective systems for ventilation due to local climate investigations, urban planning or settlement areas with a strong relief. The comprehensive velocities, layer thickness and the volume flow rate of nocturnal drainage in METEOKARTGIS offer good basics for evaluate local conditions. Therein are imaged for example source and stream area (climate effective areas) as well as flow paths, e.g. with trajectories (climate effective pathways) of nocturnal drainage. Trajectories connect locations that are contact the air parcel during its movement once. There are forward trajectories to analyse the transportation of air pollutants and there are backward trajectories to declare the origin of emissions.
The nocturnal drainage is represented in different development stadia. Elementary time steps are the nocturnal drainage situation at the beginning of the night, at midnight and at fully development.
Wind and dispersion categories offer important information for climate analysis too. This could be for example percentage of dispersion categories or wind dispersion with low wind velocities.
METEOKARTGIS is a tool for:
- Cause analysis, e.g. of olfactory pollution
- Data acquisition and transmission/processing of meteorological data
- Supervision of immission calculations
- Decision making, e.g. of the relevance of studies in detail
METEOKARTGIS is implemented in the geographical in...
METEOKARTGIS is implemented in the geographical information system (GIS) of ArcGIS® (version 8, 9 and 10) by the company ESRI®. The compatibility to other GIS systems is given by the data management in the geographical format called „shape“ by ESRI® which can be handled by most of the GIS systems. It is planned in such a way that it can be used discretely also by non-versed GIS users, e.g. in air quality authorities. To afford this standard, series of easily operated interfaces with data base accesses automatically are created. Furthermore a graphical processing of the results take place within the software, so this guarantees an analysis or publication.
The data archived in data bases could be displayed graphically and comprehensively on a position at the map while activating the button. These are:
- Meteorological reference stations as a wind rose
- Synthetic wind statistics as a wind rose
- Detailed in a separated window with subfunctions (export of data, export as image, options of the chart, labellings etc.)
- Simplified as a graphic in the GIS directly, e.g. for comprehensive analysis with multiple wind and dispersion category statistics
- Nocturnal drainage for different time steps as a map (layer in the GIS)
- Volume flow rate
- Layer thickness
- Nocturnal drainage as an info too
- Location data
- Position (coordinates)
- Absolute altitude of the station
- Layer thickness
- Mean flow velocity and direction
- Volume flow rate (density)
- Vertical profile with absolute altitudes with:
- Velocity at current height
- Mean velocity over ground up to current height
- Mean volume flow rate over ground up to current height
- Trajectory analysis
- Forward (non-steady state)
- Backward (steady state)
- Forward and backward
- Time of simulation
What are methodical basics of METEOKARTGISand how it is constructed?
The modular composition already shows that two models are applied behind the software METEOKARTGIS.
Where is METEOKARTGIS used?
METEOKARTGIS is operationally used since 2004 and it is applied currently in three regions:
- The Free State of Saxony with four investigation areas and an overall size of about 7 352 km²
- Region Stuttgart
- Region Köln
Our large experience with METEOKARTGIS is argued in various publications and lecture. Results of the system inclusive functionalities also can be published in the internet as well. An online service at the described regions is currently not available.
How much does METEOKARTGIS cost?
METEOKARTGISwas developed by order of the Ministry for Environment, Agriculture and Geology of Saxony. METEOKARTGIS is adapted to meet the ideas and needs of the employer. The system METEOKARTGIS is free of charge for administrations. Only adjustments, approaches and modelling of data have to be charged.
You are looking for a software system which:
- Places the wind data comprehensive for large areas at the disposal?
- Shows situations of nocturnal drainage in different development stadia?
- Provides plausible and believable data?
- Offers an enhanced usability and can be used by various user or user groups at the same time?
- Could be easily integrated in ArcGIS® or other geographic information systems?
- Could be developed to individual questions and needs?
- Is constructed by a professional team in specific fields meteorology, geoscience, informatics and physics?
METEOKARTGIS a flexible, comprehensive tool tailored for your needs.
No reviews were found for METEOKART GIS - System for Wind Statistics and Nocturnal Drainage Flows. Be the first to review!