SEAMS - Enterprise Decision Analytics (EDA) Platform Software
Helps organisations to coordinate and communicate masses of information with confidence. It centralises project content for consistent results and enables analytics projects to be shared across the business. EDA employs recognised industry standards for databases, services & application, security and authentication for Microsoft Windows & web environment. The EDA project portal is web based making the whole system easily accessible by those who need it. EDA features support an area of Information Security and can be part of an organization's ISO strategy.
Corporate data made analytics ready
- Integration enables EDA to communicate with existing corporate systems eg. SAP, ARM, ORACLE etc.
- Bespoke integration for each organisation to meet your unique combination of systems.
- Creates a consistent and familiar analytics platform.
- Avoids need to transfer in and out of systems to achieve decision results.
- EDA can integrate its outputs into 3rd party visualisation systems.
- Including dashboards (SAP, Tableau, Qlik, PowerPivot, etc.)
- And GIS systems (ESRI, MapInfo, Smallworld, etc.)
Perform modelling tasks with ease
- EDA provides workflow features that enable the population, analysis and running of models to be automated (meaning minimum manual intervention is required.)
- It enables you to build automated workflows of all actions and activities normally performed manually.
- This functionality allows you to construct sophisticated workflows to generate updated investment plans to be exported back to the business.
- This includes data refresh, multiple analysis phases, multiple linked modelling and optimisation phases with defined or dynamic scenarios.
- The workflow automation will enable more frequent and error free operation of your analytics system reducing overall cost and improving responsiveness and business performance.
- EDA is also configured with in built process workflow checks to ensure an appropriate stage and gate process to your analytics.
- Build a sense of asset performance, cost and risk from complex data.
- Create advanced calculations easily to highlight critical business trends.
- Data Labs provides the means for Predictive Analytics to be carried out.
- Provides an intuitive and familiar mathematical environment in which to create, manage, maintain, edit and action analysis against data held within the system in order to understand and predict behaviours of assets, resources and processes.
- Visually navigate large data sets and reveal data patterns.
- Leverage multiple data sources for BI goals.
- Enables the definition of any analysis algorithm to extract or define any type of predictive model: deterioration, consequence, condition, risk, probability of failure, etc.
- EDA comes with a library of analytical algorithms that can be used as a starting point of analysis.
- Version history of changes to the analysis and their use are recorded.
- By default Data Labs uses the R analytics language. Future versions of Data Labs will allow integration into other commercial analytical applications such as Python, Matlab and SPSS.
- Be organised with a central asset management data environment
- Data Hub manages data for analytics as simply and flexibly as you need
- Pool data from across the business for advanced analytics inquiry
- The Data Hub allows data collection from multiple sources, for example SAP (and SAP Hana), which is used as the main data, asset & works management functions within your organisation.
- It provides easy storage of all data to be used for analysis and optimisation
- It enables trained users to create and action a new import definition. Import definitions are persistent and reusable many times, each time they are re-used they will record the update and the new data as an additional version.
- Cleanse and re-populate data imported to ensure that all subsequent actions are as accurate as possible.
- Cleaning and re-population can be specific for each data set and therefore EDA is flexible in specifying the rules to be employed.
- Straightforward cleaning and re-population rules mean they can be managed, created, edited and actioned by suitably trained client analytics teams.
- Results of the data cleaning and re-population can be exported from EDA to update the source systems if required.
- Powerful visualisation of assets for analytical inquiry
- Asset Register allows users to organise and quantify asset information before and after analytical inquiry for the purpose of modelling and reporting
- Helps you validate decisions with real world, local considerations
- Assets imported into the Data Hub can be mapped to an Asset Register View to make the user experience more rich and familiar.
- Typically a client would take an instance of their asset inventory and GIS to incorporate within the asset register. However, EDA supports integration of familiar corporate GIS systems such as ESRI.
- Once assets are held within the register, they can then be linked across the other EDA modules.
- This allows powerful GIS visualisation of your analytics meaning you can build engaging decision stories with stakeholders
- E.g the cost benefit of potential solutions (e.g. capital or operational interventions) can be instantly checked and the impact of any optimisation scenarios specific to that asset reviewed.
- In addition the GIS is linked to Google Street View to further enhance the experience.
- Understand how your assets and your decisions impact your business:
- EDA Asset is a prescriptive analytic toolkit that quickly enables you to create asset models to define and explore optimal plans for asset maintenance, investment and divestment. After over 15 years of software development by SEAMS, the core that powers EDA Asset is one of the best in class systems, as recognised by Gartner, for asset investment planning.
- EDA Asset enables you to analyse asset performance and risk in multi-dimensions
- It enables changes to model variables without the need for complete model rebuild
- It allows predictive analytics to be turned into prescriptive analytical models ready for optimisation.
- It enables asset models to be created to define and explore optimal plans for asset maintenance, investment and divestment.
- It allows models to be created covering a single asset class and across multiple asset classes, related or un-related across a user definable timescale.
- Probability of failure, consequence of failure, deterioration and overall levels of risk can all be characterised.
- EDA Asset has been designed to incorporate a wide range of whole life cost models including capital cost, cost of ownership, cost of failure, cost of carbon and residual value.
- This allows a true TOTEX approach to be captured within the system.
- In addition to characterising the benefits of potential investments in terms of changes to performance, serviceability and outcomes; EDA Asset allows Willingness to Pay (WTP) and Ecosystem Services studies to be incorporated into the cost benefit equation.
- A number of template models are provided and a library of model components can be dragged and dropped into the easy to use interface to simplify the model building process.
- Create consistency in decision making across your entire investment portfolio
- Optimise investments across different asset streams
- EDA Portfolio allows multiple projects from across the business to be considered for investment against each other. Where EDA Asset represents the assets individually within the system, EDA Portfolio allows “cross asset optimisation” of schemes of work across the entire business.
- Inherently flexible, each scheme of work is characterised by a need i.e. what is the performance and/or service risk of not doing work? and what solution(s) are available in order to solve the need? i.e. Opex resolution, capital scheme, etc.
- Solutions within EDA Portfolio can be fixed (i.e. “Must do”)
- or allowed to be selected by the optimiser within user definable constraints.
- Solutions can also be linked mutually exclusive/inclusive and time delays can be added to the costs/effects.
- Prioritise investments against resource constraints
- EDA Portfolio and its integrated links into the wider EDA system has been designed so that industry issues such as difficulty in data input for the schemes, length of time taken, being prone to error and gamesmanship from those inputting scheme options are no longer a concern or issue.
- Predictive and prescriptive analytics created elsewhere in the system (e.g. EDA Asset, Data Labs) can automatically populate needs and solutions so that thousands of schemes options can be added into the system from the press of a button.
- An easy to use interface has been designed to allow schemes to be manually entered into the system with workflows wrapped around to avoid any gaming of the system to get pet projects selected.
- The EDA Portfolio system is user definable enabling it to be adapted to any service measure framework you are currently using or are looking to move towards.
- E.g within the UK Water market SEAMS software is cited as an example of a decision support tool of choice within the latest Decision Making Framework guidance from UKWIR (2015).
- Different snapshots of EDA Portfolio can be created for different uses.
- E.g high level strategic planning: in which the outputs will inform regulatory or annual business plans.
- E.g business as usual: linked to corporate systems such as SAP to track and plan scheme delivery throughout the year.
- Quickly explore the impact of asset strategy on financial performance.
- EDA Financials provides the rapid visualisation, exploration and communication of the impact of changes in investment strategy on financial performance. It establishes a clear line of sight between your optimised investment plan and financial performance which is key to equitable funding of investment, maintenance and operations.
- Has the flexibility to cater for any tax system or reporting standard.
- All rates and values can be changed with effect from any date.
- Pre-set tax inputs for major jurisdictions may also be modified with effect from any date.
- UK & US GAAP, IAS, Historic and Current Cost are all available.
- The system calculates values on a daily and an annual basis with inbuilt features to ensure the financial information remains accurate.
- Double entry book keeping ensures that the accounts balance.
- Transparency of each calculation within the model and easily accessible for future auditing.
- Enables you to quickly build financial models and modify components without need for complete rebuild each time
- Can be used for a variety of financial assessments bid preparation, financing, project delivery and evaluation, and due diligence of asset stock
High speed optimisation for obtaining answers more quickly
- Achieve financially optimised asset decisions for any goal
- Answer any question of asset performance, service, cost or risk using a library of auto-solving algorithms to create an action plan to achieve them
- Choose from an array of solvers appropriate for different levels of decision complexity
Performs unlimited scenarios to give an awareness of the variance in investment plans
How EDA Optimiser does this:Solver Method
In the market, EDA stands alone in the wide range of solver methods it provides which ensures the right solver is applied to the problem at hand for maximum efficiencies. We’ve found that selecting the right solver method in conjunction with a well-designed and configured model can save more than 20% total expenditure (TOTEX).
Once a model is built, then you can start asking the questions you need to make decisions on:
- g. clients in the UK water market may ask how best to reduce their leakage and interruptions to customers by a given percentage to meet a given outcome delivery incentive.
- g. Owners of transport infrastructure may have limited budgets and want to know the best investments to lower the overall risk of their network.
- g. Large above ground assets such as treatment works, bridges and district heaters require regular maintenance but planners may want to know what is the correct mix of CAPEX and OPEX to provide the lowest TOTEX solution over a given time period.
- g.Workforce planners may have limited resources and want to plan the optimal allocation of their people across cost centres to meet the demand from their networks/projects.
The answers to these questions will be processed by a solver method, of which EDA has a large selection of options. These range from rule based triggers to an advanced non-linear proprietary Genetic Algorithm (GA) that can utilise the cloud based computing resources to provide a multiple CPU environment. This environment can be scaled to meet the needs of the client or for each individual optimisation problem on a case by case basis.
Uncertainty & Sensitivity
Understanding the level of uncertainty in the data and its impact on the outputs is critical to developing a robust and defendable business plan. Each data item in the model, from the asset attributes to the predictive analytics, will have a level of confidence. EDA is configured with a sophisticated Monte Carlo simulator that allows a wide range of statistical distributions to be configured. This enables a range of outputs to be generated to provide a range of confidence intervals.
EDA has an intuitive, easy to use interface for creating scenarios and submitting them to the appropriate solver. The “what if” Scenarios Editor removes all model complexity leaving you with the key information in the model that you want to ask questions of.
Design meaningful results to engage stakeholders
EDA has a range of visualisation tools that allows you to review and analyse results of analytical inquiry for both actioning decisions and also effective communication to a wider audience
Interrogate results at any level of spatial and temporal aggregation
Prepare results in formats meaningful to your audience
Export results for presentation in MS Office
- EDA Results Viewer allows you to review and analyse your output results, whether that be calculated, optimised or manually created.
- EDA comes equipped with two layers of results viewers.
- The first is within the EDA Project Portal and presents high level information suitable for quick and easy review of key outputs.
- The second is a more detailed Results Viewer embedded within EDA Asset that lets you view both aggregated outputs and drill down to asset level results as required.
- Both applications are fully configurable so that predetermined reports can be setup.
- A wide range of chart and grid options are available with the ability to adjust colours, zoom, set titles, adjust axis scales and output to common applications such as Word, Excel and PDF.
- Drag/drop or click on/off different scenarios to compare outputs of different scenarios on the same chart and grid.
- On the project portal version you can capture an output, comment on it and post it for other users to review.
Publish data for highly visual and interactive analysis.
Dashboard functionality is built in to EDA so that strategic outputs can be communicated to executives and decisions can be implemented with foresight and confidence.
EDA has an Open Data interface which allows the publishing of data for access by 3rd party products.
- Although it has inbuilt dashboard features, it can also be integrated into a client’s own corporate dashboards for management information.
- Example dashboard applications include SAP Business Objects, Tableau, Qlik, PowerPivot, etc.
- The dashboard features gives you the ultimate in flexibility for generating highly visual and interactive analysis.
- It can utilise data from both the outputs results and any other information that is held within the Data Hub.
- Creates a sense of relativity of issues with key performance indicators measured against reference points.
Feature rich application to review the plan generated from Asset models and Scheme/Project models.
Optimized action plans are effectively communicated by mapping actions using GIS spatial analysis tools so that programmes are evaluated for deliverability and operability.
- It enables asset strategy to be converted to a plan of work
- It challenges modelled output with real world practical delivery considerations
- EDA Planner performs validation of decisions with site survey assessment
- Allows you to view which assets and investment rules or schemes have been selected, and in which time period they have been selected.
- It enables the selected assets to be displayed on a map (GIS), where geospatial data exists, to improve visualisation.
- The map view shows which assets have been selected for each time period.
- The map view can also show a heat map of the assets based on any modelled or input KPI. It can also be linked to google maps street view.
- Where multiple plans exists it provides a comparison visualisation between each plan.