SELMA - Version GIS 9 - System for Air Pollution Modelling and Visualization
SELMAGIS is a system for Air Pollution Modelling and Visualization. SELMAGIS offers a unique graphical user interface to work with different dispersion models. It's based on the Geographical Information System ArcGIS 9.1 - 9.3, 10 and is used as an extension in ArcMap. SELMAGIS makes it easy to work with different sophisticate dispersion models utilising all advantages from the large functionality of ArcGIS, e.g. getting and preparing input data from large data bases, result evaluation by spatial joining with different theme layers and 3D-visualisation (requires 3D-Analyst extension from ESRI).
SELMAGIS includes the following Tools:
- SELMADigitizing Tools. For digitising road, area and point emission source and 3-dimensional building information's. All data are stored as data base format Shape (ESRI)
- SELMAMeteo for importing, visualizing and meteorological information from measured data,
- to define time series (variation in the year) and
- to calculate the exhaust pipe emissions of vehicles, including Pm10 emissions calculation appropriate Düring et.al
- SELMADomain for defining the receptor grid (nesting is possible)
- SELMANavigator for starting the current model. There are implemented yet AUSTAL2000, MEMO and MARS/MUSE
- SELMAVisualisation to evaluate result data coming out from different dispersion models. The results of each calculation are visualized directly in ArcMap (*. shp) and saved as EXCEL compatible files (*. dbf). Further processing, for example for comparisons with monitoring data, is possible. Various export formats are supported from ArcGIS, e.g. PDF, JPEG, TIF, Mapinfo, Google Earth (only with ArcGIS 9.3 and higher).
At this time SELMAGIS includes the following dispersion models:
- AUSTAL2000 for calculating dispersion of various substances from point (stacks), line (Streets), area (dumps), grid (emission inventories) and volume emission sources. AUSTAL2000 includes a 3-dimensional Lagrangian particle model and contains a flow model being able to cope with complex terrain (mountains, hills) and also the effects of buildings. AUSTAL2000 is official German Federal Environmental Agency air pollution dispersion model and meets the demands contained in appendix 3 of the German 'Technical Instruction Clean Air' (TA Luft).
- The mesoscale meteorological model MEMO and the dispersion model MARS/MUSE including a model for photochemical reactions. It can be used for calculation in large extents and is able to consider emission inventories. MEMO and MARS/MUSE is developed and supported by the University of Thessalonica, Greece
- We are working on implementing the dispersion model PROKAS. PROKAS is used for calculation of air pollution concentration on roads and road systems. It consists of various modules to calculate emissions on roads, pollutant dispersion on roads without or with loose developments, as well as dispersion on densely developed roads (street canyons).
- additional dispersion moduls will be implemented on demand
Area of Application
SELMAGIS can be applied in different scales (from mesoscale down to microscale) as well for screening purposes to get first quick estimations on the basis of a reduced set of input data, as for sophisticated applications using high quality data and models.