Sustainability, GHG, CSR Software
Sustainability and greenhouse gas tracking are the hottest topics in environmental and energy management. Every consultant and environmental software company will tell you they have a solution to address corporate sustainability tracking and carbon footprint estimation. But do they have the knowledge to make it work? In the absence of clear regulatory guidance, how can customers select a tool that will perform overtime? The answer is simple, select a platform and tools with built-in flexibility to meet emerging requirements and a team with a commitment to deliver. The California Air Resources Board recently adopted the proposed Scoping Plan for implementing AB32, the California Global Warming Solutions Act. And, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently proposed the first comprehensive national system for reporting emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases produced by major sources in the United States, the Federal Mandatory GHG reporting Rule.
Calculating and Reporting Sustainability Data
Locus' sustainability solution already offers a streamlined enterprise corporate sustainability and CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) tracking application that includes Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions tracking, resource management and key performance indicators (KPIs) for sustainability. Locus is also an Organizational Stakeholder member of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). The GRI is an independent institution (started in 1997 by the Coalition for Environmentally Responsible Economies (CERES) and became independent in 2002) whose mission is to develop and disseminate globally applicable Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. GRI is an official collaborating center of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Locus' Professional Services division helps companies bring their sustainability reporting in line with the GRI performance indicators that are grouped under three sections covering the economic, environmental, and social dimensions of sustainability. Some of the KPIs that Locus covers include the following:
- Resource consumption tracking
- Greenhouse gas tracking
- Chemical Inventory Management
- Water and Wastewater usage
- Waste tracking
- Fugitive emissions tracking
- Fugitive Gases tracking
- A database to store asset information, baseline conditions, target goals and benchmarks, and emission factors
- An interface to collect and validate the data
- Forecasting calculators to play 'what if' questions
- Data export for 'cap & trade'
The heart of the Locus system is a robust database that accommodates a wide range of resource management and emission sources coupled with graphical outputs to support corporate business intelligence type of graphical data and information presentation.
Locus' Solution to GHG and Sustainability Reporting
CSR, corporate sustainability and corporate governance collectively are shaping the identity of organizations and are therefore increasingly integrated into the business strategy of successful corporations. Consequently, the field of responsible business strategy and practice is becoming one of the most dynamic and challenging subjects corporations are facing today and possibly one of the most important ones for shaping the future of the world.
Locus starts with a conceptual site model (CSM) and integrates it with the world's best environmental database and powerful reporting tools to track KPIs across the enterprise.
- Create a CSM
- Create a holistic site view for soil, water, air and resource and energy consumption
- Identify environmental, energy and emissions impacts to CSM
- Dynamically capture all Resource Consumption within the CSM
- Generate 'what if' scenarios to locate energy consumption and environmental impacts and improve operational efficiency
Track Environmental Impact Gap and Productivity
- Track trends for environmental emissions and performance improvements
- Generate trend charts on the web and in reports to track environmental impact
Track Productivity Parameters
- Store and track key corporate pollutant parameters
- Generate trend charts to track productivity
Track Benchmark Levels
- Set periodic benchmark goals and track performance against these goals
- Set 'in-between' and minimum and maximum benchmarks
- Generate trend charts to track against benchmarks
- Generate formatted PDF reports
- Export to XML, HTML, Word, Excel or CSV
- Create boardroom ready BI charts delivered through an environmental dashboard in a single mouse click