CAOHC Occupational Hearing Conservation Technician Training
Courses are approved and instructors are certified by the Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation (CAOHC). This 20-hour initial certification training is referenced in both OSHA and MSHA noise standards. It is designed to train personnel conducting hearing testing; implementing or supervising hearing conservation programs.
- History of noise regulations
- Anatomy and physiology of the ear
- Sound measurement and noise exposure
- Hearing testing using manual and automatic audiometers
- Calibration of audiometer and requirements for test booths
- Recordkeeping and OSHA 300 logging
- Standard Threshold Shift (STS) identification and follow-up
- Medical referral criteria
- Counseling of associates
- Effects of noise on hearing
- Hearing protection attenuation, fitting, dispensing and monitoring
- Hearing conservation educational programs
- OSHA occupational noise standard
- Workers’ compensation
- ADA accommodation
A course manual with reference and working materials including many useful forms is provided. Practice audiometers and sample hearing protectors for fitting exercises are dispensed and made available to course participants.
There are regularly scheduled 20-hour Certification and 8-hour Refresher courses scheduled throughout the year. In addition, a number of courses are presented at different locations sponsored by or in conjunction with Nurse’s Associations.
The courses held at the corporate offices in Greensboro, NC include free continental breakfast, water and afternoon snacks!
Course Length and Time
- Days 1 and 2 (8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- Day 3 (8:00 am to 12:00 Noon)