CNG Fuel System Inspector Training
From E-Learning - Vehicle
Ensuring integrity of CNG fuel systems is a vital part of NGV safety. While the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires all on-board CNG storage cylinders to be visually inspected every three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first, or following any accident or fire, NGV industry best practice calls for inspection of the entire CNG fuel system. CNG fuel system inspections must be conducted by well-trained and qualified technicians.
- Describe the properties and characteristics of natural gas.
- Identify the four types of CNG cylinders, their construction methods, certification requirements, current and past manufacturers.
- Identify the causes of cylinder failure.
- Identify all codes and standards that apply to CNG cylinders and other fuel system components.
- Identify all CNG high-pressure components and their purposes.
- Identify and assess CNG cylinder and fuel system installations.
- Interpret all information from a CNG cylinder label.
- Describe the steps and methods to safely perform a CNG fuel system inspection in conformance with established standards.
- Describe the final disposition process for CNG cylinders and fuel system components.
- Describe the defueling options for CNG powered vehicles.
Experienced vehicle technicians employed by fleets or dealerships who are:
- Responsible for performing CNG fuel system inspections; or
- Preparing to take the CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification exam; or
- Planning to renew their CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification; or
- Seeking to refresh knowledge on CNG fuel system inspections.
Fleet managers and supervisors, safety managers and risk management staff are welcome to contact us to discuss available training options.
Attending NGVi’s two-day CNG Fuel System Inspector Training:
- Helps ensure technicians are adequately trained to properly conduct CNG fuel system inspections according to all current codes and standards.
- Helps prepare technicians for the CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification Exam.
CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification Exam
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: Properties and Safe Handling of Natural Gas
- Module 3: NGV Codes and Standards (Overview)
- Module 4: CNG Fuel System Components
- Module 5: How to Inspect the Fuel Receptacle
- Module 6: How to Inspect the Secondary Check Valve
- Module 7: How to Inspect the Defueling System
- Module 8: How to Inspect Cylinders and Shields
- Module 9: How to Inspect Cylinder Valves, PRDs, and Vent Lines
- Module 10: How to Inspect the Fuel System Isolation Valve
- Module 11: How to Inspect the High-Pressure Coalescing Filter
- Module 12: How to Inspect the Automatic Shutoff Solenoid Valve
- Module 13: How to Inspect the Pressure Gauge
- Module 14: How to Inspect the Pressure Regulator
- Module 15: How to Inspect Fuel Lines
- Module 16: Labeling (Other than Cylinder Labeling)
- Module 17: Fuel System Final Disposition and Cylinder Disposal
- Module 18: Safe Defueling Methods
- Module 19: Cylinder Inspection Workshop
Instructional staff members of colleges, universities, private training organizations, fleets, dealers or manufacturers, and field service representatives or other employees with customer training responsibilities are not candidates for this course. Other courses or options may be available.