Datastick - Vibration Analysis Training Agenda
Day 1: Introduction to Vibration Basics (8 am – 4 pm)
- What is vibration? What causes vibration?
- How are vibration measurements taken?
- Time Domain vs. Frequency Domain (Waveform vs. Spectrum)
- What is an FFT?
- The importance of the Waveform and the Spectrum
- Explanation of a Spectrum in detail
- Understanding Amplitude: Displacement, Velocity, and Acceleration
- Understanding Frequency: Hertz, CPM
- Understanding Subsynchronous, Synchronous,Nonsynchronous, Orders and Harmonics
- Key concepts with vibration analysis: Identifying Imbalance, Misalignment, Looseness, and Bearing Wear
- Basics of windowing: Hanning, Uniform, Flat Top, Hamming.
- FFT resolution: How many lines are appropriate?
- How to determine the correct input range
- Introduction to spectrum analysis
- Phase analysis of single and multiple machines
Day 2: Vibration Faults Software (8 am – 4 pm)
- How to set up and manage Inspection Routes
- Exporting vibration data to a PC
- Uploading routes/configurations
- Choosing an appropriate Minimum and Maximum Frequency
- When and how to use Peak Detection
- When and how to use Spectrum Averaging and Peak Hold
- Basic machine set up: Understanding the limitations and
- collection times associated with different setups for different machines
- How to place a sensor for an accurate, repeatable reading (where to place, how to mount, and frequency limitations of different mountings)
- Where to mount the sensor on different machine types
- Vibration collection procedures
- Basic field analysis for: Mass Unbalance, Eccentric Rotors, Bent Shaft, Misalignment, Mechanical Looseness, Improper Component Fit, Soft Foot, Rolling Element Bearings, Belt Drive Problems, Electrical Problems in Motors, Gear Wear, Belt Drive,
- Creating graphs and reports
- Producing a useful vibration report
Day 3: Vibration Practical: Data Collection and Analysis (8 am – 4 pm)
- Onsite vibration collection practical
- Building an initial machine configuration
- Setting up a Route
- Uploading to PC analysis software
- Waveform and Spectrum Graph analysis
- How to make a call in the field
Day 4: Vibration Review and Optional Level 1 Testing Review (8 am – noon)
Review and Testing for Certification (8 am – 5 pm)
- Review basic vibration science
- Review basic vibration faults
- Testing for ASNT or ISO certification
Training and certification comply with the ISO 18436-2 and ASNT SNT-TC-1A standards. Students receive certificates for grades of 80% or greater.