IAIA Training Courses
Training at Annual Conferences: IAIA offers 8-12 training courses each year in conjunction with its annual conference. These one- or two-day courses cover a range of aspects regarding impact assessment and may be beginner, intermediate, or advanced in level.
Specific courses offered at each conference can be viewed at the home page for each conference, under the 'Training Courses' heading. Some recent course titles include:
- Understanding Impact Assessment: Principles, Methods, and Emerging Trends
- Achieving the Full Potential of Social Impact Assessment
- The Cultural Heritage Component of Impact Assessment: Class Room and Field Training In Methods and Issues
- Cumulative Effects and Follow-Up in Impact Assessment
- Increasing Tangibility in SEA through Valuation of Ecosystem Services
- Involuntary Resettlement: Principles and Practice
- Mainstreaming Biodiversity Conservation in Energy Projects: What Can Impact Assessment Offer?
- Planning For Effective Public Participation
- Quality Assurance in EIA: Guide and Review
- Theory and Practice of Multi-criteria Analysis for Environmental Impact Assessment of Projects and Plans
- Issues in Health Impact Assessment for the Energy Industry
The call for training courses is issued each May or June for the following year's conference. (See a sample here.) Course proposals are vetted by IAIA's Training and Professional Development Committee, and the selected courses are promoted in the online preliminary program materials and the home page for that conference.
- NON-CONFERENCE TRAINING
Historically, IAIA has offered training courses ONLY in conjunction with our annual conferences. Now, thanks to a program developed by IAIA's Training and Professional Development Committee (TPDC), you may see IAIA's logo on some of these same courses offered outside of our annual conference.
If you see a special IAIA-endorsement logo on a course flyer, that means the course has been vetted by the TPDC and was delivered successfully (as measured by participant evaluations) at an IAIA conference or special event within the past six years. This is a new program, and we look forward to being able to offer an increasing number of training courses to impact assessment professionals around the world.
- MEMBERS ONLY: FREE ONLINE TRAINING OFFER
Long-time IAIA member, Dr. Larry Canter, and his company, Environmental Impact Training, have made his online training courses at EIA Campus available free of charge to past and current IAIA members from developing countries and countries in transition. Interested individuals should email email@example.com listing their name, country, and desired training course series to see if they qualify for free access.
When you sign up for a series, you will be able to access any or all of the courses in that series. The series available include:
- Cumulative Effects Assessment Series
- EIA Process (NEPA) Series
- Technical Writing for EIA (NEPA) Series
- Adaptive Management Series
- Climate Change Series