SPCC Compliance Manager
Facilities subject to spill prevention, control, and countermeasure (SPCC) regulations must develop and effectively implement SPCC plans. With regulations changing regularly, agency interpretations and guidance emerging, and deadlines for the updated plans looming, staying up to speed on compliance with this program can be challenging.
The SPCC Compliance Manager™ course is designed for those responsible for developing SPCC plans, managing SPCC compliance programs, or evaluating SPCC compliance.
This course includes focused training, group discussions, and class exercises. Relevant handouts, including the current EPA SPCC Inspector’s Guide and SPCC inspection checklists, are provided to help you understand what the inspectors are looking for. The course covers all changes to the rule finalized in 2002, and is continually updated to include the many modifications and additions made since then. Any recent changes will also be incorporated. Course handout materials form a useful reference source for your continued use.
If you have an SPCC plan, you are encouraged to bring a copy to class, along with a copy of the applicable Federal/ state permit, so your plan can be reviewed by the class and instructor and an action plan developed to bring your plan into full compliance.
This course will leave you well-qualified to lead SPCC compliance programs at your organization.
Topics Covered Include:
- SPCC regulations
- Facility SPCC requirements
- Secondary containment requirements
- Employee training requirements
- Deviations and Impracticability Statements
- Administrative SPCC requirements
- Required SPCC plan elements
- Plan compliance evaluation
- Common pitfalls and effective compliance strategies
Our Continuing Education Matrix provides a summary of current professional certification credits, maintenance points, and CEUs awarded to Institute courses.
Course Agendas are subject to change
Day One 8:15 – 4:15
- Review of 40 CFR 112
- Review of changes to 40 CFR 112
- Objective of SPCC Plan
- Federal vs. state enforcement
- Definitions related to SPCC regulations
- Elements required in the SPCC
- Guidelines to be addressed
- 5 attestations required
- Secondary containment vs. containment and diversionary structures
- NDT inspection requirements
- Training requirements
- Development of SPCC team for facility
- Roles the team plays
- Advantages of assigning team members
- Use of USEPA inspection checklists to review an SPCC plan
- Recognition of weak areas
- Development of action plans to help improve the plan
Day Two 8:15 – 3:00
- Applicability of the Integrated Contingency Plan (ICP)
- Plans that work with the ICP
- Plans that don’t work with the ICP
- Pros and Cons of integrating the plans
- Review of SPCC plans brought by attendees
- Use of USEPA inspection checklists
- Development of action plans to help improve reviewed plans